1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wimpy, Jun 4, 2012.

1. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Hi, is this Cirrus?...can't see "Cirrus" on headstock....thanks for help W.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Structure5

Structure5

Jul 9, 2003
    Lima,OH
    That looks like a Peavey Grind 5 BXP. I have a 4 BXP and the body and acess panel look the same, except that I never have seen chrome hardware on a Grind.

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    No, not Cirrus. It is Grind BXP - NT. Inexpensive way to try a neck through. Nice basses for the money.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here be a Cirrus!

Cirrus6_TigerEye_05.jpg

5. Looks like a modified Peavey Grind. Beautiful wood. I used to have one. Finished it with tongue oil and it was gorgeous.

6. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Definitely a Grind. As someone pointed out, nice bass for the money. Cirrus basses are sorely underrated IMHO due to "Peavey Prejudice" dating from back in the 70s when the name was synonymous with big heavy noisy amps with ugly angular logos that you'd see with Country or Gospel Acts.

7. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I concur! Peavey Cirrus is an excellent bass. In fact, several Ken Smith owners who have both have specifically told me that the Cirrus was a nicer bass AND a much better value.

8. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    thank you all!...is there big difference between Cirrus and Grind?...I mean in sound ...thanks again W.

9. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Huge difference. The Grind isn't a bad bass, in fact it's quite a nice bass at the price point, but it's passive, with different pickups. To my ears it sounds nothing like the Cirrus which is clearer, punchier, more hi-fi and far more versatile.

If you were to change the electronics, you could get closer to a cirrus sound, but by the $ you'd invest in new pups and pre would get you pretty near the price of a used Cirrus. They aren't terribly expensive used and are a much better bass.

10. Landsharks

Landsharks

Jul 24, 2009
    Oxford, MS
    The body shape doesn't look like the Grind body shape. It also looks like there is a laminate on the headstock. Nice looking bass regardless.

11. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Absolutely, the Cirrus is much more refined than the Grind. Also Cirrus is way more expensive.

12. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  13. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    thank you all!...well I think I like to have Cirrus 5 ...in future

14. I am pretty sure the bass in the OP is not a Grind, not even a modified one. They always had black hardware and the name "Grind" on the headstock somewhere. Only the very earliest models had dot inlays, and those also had P-J pickups, not soapbars. Grinds also have string-through bridges, but this one does not. It's a puzzle.

Here's the earliest Grind bass I know of, for sale on eBay. It was made about 2001.
    eBay

15. GKevinK

GKevinK

May 23, 2008
    Glen Burnie, MD
    There are many things visible that are not Cirrus at all.
    1) The PUPs are not the right soap bars, but have different mounts.
    2) A Cirrus should have the stylized C logo at the 12th fret.
    3) A Cirrus pre has 5 knobs
    4) A Cirrus has a different Bridge - more of a solid block
    5) A Cirrus has a graphite laminate on the head.

It definitely does look like a Cirrus NT body, though. Either it's a custom order, or somebody's project.

16. ajax1

ajax1 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    From your pix what I see are:

1. 4 knobs - Cirrus has 5
    2. Bridge is silver, most (not all) Cirrus bridges are gold
    3. Back does not have a battery compartment, Cirrus does
    4. No carbon fiber neck inlay, Cirrus does
    5. No Cirrus logo

Play it and if u like it, go for it. Don't think it is a USA Cirrus.

17. Those wood knobs make up for the 18mm spacing, I think.:D

18. I didn't see no one playin' a Smith in the clip:confused:. Any gospel vids that's recommended with a Smith being played? The same style of music/video quality would be preferred.

BTW, I sure wish there was a church around here that played that stuff. I'd camp out on the steps of the church every service.:D