Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Fury 4 USA pickup and electronics upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Adam Harzuf, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Adam Harzuf

Adam Harzuf

Nov 16, 2004
    Israel
    Hello!
    I didn't play for two years, and I want to come back.

I got hold (for free) of an old fretted Peavey Fury 4 that a friend of mine had for a few years with nobody playing it.
    It's a USA model, P bass clone, bridge seems simple.
    The neck seems quite alright (no arc bend), and is seems like maple. I don't know about the body - there's an ugly white finish on it.
    The bass doesn't work - The pickup is dead (no resistance whatsoever in the ohmmeter).
    With the 2 strings that was still on it, I played some notes, putting my ear against the body. I used to do that a lot with basses when I used to play, and this one "rings" really nicely!
    Also very playable.

If I understood correctly, the old USA Furys are indeed good, and I believe that if I upgrade the pickup and electronics I can achieve good results.

I'm on a budget and would like to make this bass a good player.
    I am willing to route a new pickup shape, and maybe to add another one.. So we got lots of options.
    I would like to have some suggestions to see how much I'm really going to put into this bass.
    I never done it, but I have the basics of electronics, woodworking and it shouldn't be too hard..

I play rock, jazz, psychedelia.
    However, I don't quite have a specially favourite tone, or a fixed preference for passive/active, more like a range of tones, about in this order:
    1.The Hi-Fi fusion, resolute tone. My favourite tone for a bass is the Warwick Thumb bolt on. It's awesome.
    2.The classic Rick tone - something so magical about it.. but nothing sounds like a Rick, I know...
    3.Jazz bass tone.

I used to have a MusicMan Stingray 4 and I didn't like anything about it. no real fat or depth. (for example, while Ricks don't have fat they have depth).
    I used to have a fretless G&L2000 and it was nice, though not enough resolute - but ok for a fretless.

Any suggestionsfor pickup/s and electronics?

Thanks
    Adam

2. Adam Harzuf

Adam Harzuf

Nov 16, 2004
    Israel
    bump

3. Yes those old Furys are fantastic basses! I have one myself. I really like the sound of the stock pickup so I left it in there, but for you, you might have a look at a Fender custom shop pickup or a Nordstrand pickup. Seymour Duncan also makes a great pickup. There's no shortage of options out there for you.

As far as the body goes, I believe it's poplar. It's a 1 piece body too! The best part about these basses is the neck though. It's so fast and easy to get around. Mine is fretless so it just makes it that much more fun. Hope you enjoy your Fury.