Peavey Mark VIII?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casper Cliche, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Casper Cliche

Casper Cliche

Sep 24, 2005
    Just looking for some opinions on the head. I have an oportunity to pick one up (1980's model) in very good condition for $200.
  2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I swear the thing could handle a nuclear explosion. $200 is a really good deal IMO.
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, for $200, not a bad deal. And I will second the fact that these amps are about as indestructable as you are going to find.

I used to have a MarkVI many years ago, and it worked great for me for many years. Didn't sound too bad, either.
  4. I had a Mark VIII XP (with the teal trim stripe), which was the second and last version of this head, and the predecessor to the Firebass 700. Kinda heavy, but good sounding, and loud, especially if you can run it with two 4 ohm cabs to get all 600 watts out of it. Typical bulletproof Peavey quality. Lots of EQ capability, if you're into graphic style control.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Still have one, and still use it for the "wrong side of town" gigs, along with a homemade 1x15" cab and a modded Squier P.

I figure if any of it gets wrecked or stolen it's no great loss.

For $200, I'd buy it.
  6. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I've had/played one since 1991. It's a great amp. Consistently delivers good, clean bass power. Not much character to the tone, but a very competent sound just the same. Coupled with a good cab, this amp can actually sound really good.

The price certainly sounds right. In fact, I'm finally deciding to sell mine, probably for that same price.

Keep us posted on your decision!
  7. Casper Cliche

Casper Cliche

Sep 24, 2005
    A little haggling and i got him to agree to $150! So ill be picking it up tomorrow. Also if my Carvin 4x10s sell by tomorrow ill be picking up a Trace Elliot 8x10 in great condition for $300!! I just Really hope the Carvins sell.
  8. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    This is rapidly shaping up to be one of those "Deal Of The Century" scenarios. Right on! That is one sweet rig you're putting together there, my friend. And, all that for a stellar deal, too.

Best of luck with the sale of your cabs.

Continue to keep us posted.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dunno if one can beat my Mark VI for $20 plus $50 for a matching Peavey cab loaded with an EVM-15B Proline.
  10. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    There is a Mark VI XP in a local recycle shop, listed at 30,000 Yen (~ $270). It appears to be in new, unused condition - this shop carries a lot of unsold and outdated stock. However, it has only a 2-prong plug on the AC cord (grounded plugs are unknown in Japan).
  11. Casper Cliche

Casper Cliche

Sep 24, 2005
    Time for the update!! Ok so here is the deal. I sold one carvin 4x10 and a peavey 400 series head for $270 to a friend, sold my ashdown MAG 300R head for $250, Bought the Trace Elliot 8x10 Cab in near perfect condition for $320, and am picking up the head for $150 tomorrow. So all in all i will have a Peavey MARK VIII with Trace Elliot 8x10 for a total of $470. And made a total of $50 profit while i still have another Carvin 4x10 to sell. Lets just say im in a pretty good mood tonight.