1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey mk3 or Tc Helicon bh250?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JosefK, Mar 10, 2018.

1. JosefK

JosefK

Mar 10, 2018
    Hello!

This thread has a pretty obvious premise but I want to explain a bit further. For the last year I have been using an old peavey m3 head (1979 I think) and so far I am enjoying it, although I don't love the weight or overly complex control setup. I generally bypass the graphic eq and use the standard eq on the left. I also don't love the onboard compression. I do think it sounds pretty good running through my old crate 410 though.

Now a situation has come up where I need to decide whether to keep this 50lb beast or move on. If I choose the latter my choice would be the Tc Helicon bh250, it boasts similar power to my peavey head but only weighs 5lbs. I also like the simple eq that isn't easily disturbed while moving the amp or adjusting on stage. I realize that these to amps are decades apart but I would like to get some input. The tc has a built in DI and tuner with a headphone out, it also has toneprint which is pretty cool. The peavey is brutally tough and does it's job well, it doesn't have a built in DI but I usually don't need to run through the house anyway.