1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-40 Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Porklit, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Porklit

Porklit

Oct 5, 2009
    Burlington, VT
    I suppose I'll start with a bit of an introduction, since this is my first post on this forum. I started playing bass about a year and a half ago when I borrowed a cheap Ibanez from a friend, Eventually I bought my first bass back in late April or Early may of '08. Picked up a Epi Thunderbird, and I still love it. Never really been too consistent at playing it, but Just got to college and It's been getting harder and harder to put it down. Met a few good people up here, and we're in the practice stages of planning for my first gig. We will be playing Paranoid by Black Sabbath (not too hard, but I don't want something really technical in case I freak out up there). Not planning to play at a big venue by any means, just open mic night.
    Anyway, since the t-bird a bit geared towards the low end, I recently got back into the market for basses. Bought a MIM Fender Jazz bass, then saw a T-40 on craigslist (always been a sucker for these, its been a less ambitious dream bass if you will). Talk to the guy, and we end up trading basses straight up which I was excited for at first, as I thought it was a deal of a lifetime. After trading basses, I saw that there was a crack in the base of the neck! Took it to the shop (still there) and they said they would look at it, but things don't seem to be looking good. Now his puts me in a predicament in many ways. 1- I am a college student, not a millionaire on Wall St, money is a concern. 2- If this neck is done for good, necks are hard if not impossible to find for these basses. 3- There is no sort of protection from these types of things from craigslist, so I can't get my money back or go back on the deal.
    I come to you then, asking what I should do. I don't want to get rid of this bass. As I mentioned earlier, I have had my eye on one of these for quite a while. However, I have no idea what to do. Where can I find replacement necks if this one is gone for good? Can I fit Another neck onto this thing from either another Peavey or a Fender or something like that? (Don't want to go this route, really like the bass the way it is from the factory). If things really end up being crappy, how likely is it that I can part this bass out and get back what I paid for it? (all the parts except for the neck are in excellent condition, given its age)
    Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm in quite a bind. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Whatever happens, I'll have learned my lesson about craigslist, and I'll be much more careful in the future. Most importantly, I won't let this mishap come between me and my somewhat new-found love for playing bass. Thank you all that reply!

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

First, take heart - if it's made of wood, it can usually be fixed. A crack should NOT be a major problem, nor should it be very expensive to fix. Properly done, glue joints in wood are actually stronger than the surrounding wood. You don't say anything about the shop, but I would be optimistic....IF they know what they are doing. You need a luthier, not someone who only knows how to turn screws. The average music shop is NOT the place to fix this.

If the shop says the neck is not fixable, or if they want a ton of money, or if they don't seem to have the competence to tackle this, find a luthier in your area and go to that person. Wood is just not that hard to work with, and any good luthier works with cracks all the time.

Second, necks for almost any instrument show up on Ebay sooner or later. You ought to be able to find one if you need it, although it may take a while.

3. Porklit

Porklit

Oct 5, 2009
    Burlington, VT
    Thanks a bunch for that reply, really puts me at ease. The shop I took it to is called Advance Music Center in Burlington VT. They claim to be the largest music store in Vermont, and the staff is quite friendly so I assume I'm not going to be ripped off. When I took it to them, they said they needed to give it to someone next door who can fix it. They didn't mention exactly who or what this guy is or does, but I assume its not a 12 year old with a tub of glue in the basement.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    T40 necks are cut down the middle to insert the trussrod and then glued back together. The crack yousee is most likely just the end of the glue joint. I would make sure that the microtilt was not being used and then I wouldn't worry about it. As Pilgrim said, the glue joint is usually stronger than the wood, they just probably missed the glue at the very end of the neck when they built it. Also the neck bolts should keep the neck from shifting or separating any more. The only thing that may thow a monkey wrench in the works is the microtilt. If it's raised and one side of the neck is tightened down more than the other, it could cause problems. Tell the techs to make sure the microtilt is fully retracted.

5. MadJap

MadJap

Aug 26, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    The maple necks on the T-40 seem to split at the base quite often. I had mine looked at by my luthier, and his comment was that mine was superficial, and not to sweat it. If your's look like mine, I would suggest you not sweat it as well.

frets.