Peavey T-40 Replacment Neck Procedure

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mech, Mar 4, 2018.

1. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    As these instruments get older the neck is the most likely part to fail that cannot be easily repaired or replaced. Good replacement necks for T-40s are getting harder to find and more expensive. I've posted this in a couple of Peavey threads before but thought it would be easier for anyone searching for info to find as a separate thread.

As best I know there is no direct replacement for a 20 fret, square heel T-40 neck. It appears to be unique. The easiest substitute I've found is a late model Peavey Milestone neck with the wheel at the heel truss rod adjustment. It's 20 frets but has a round heel and is a little too wide at the heel to fit in the T-40 pocket. It also has a 1 1/2" topnut, which was good for me. I believe the earlier model 20 fret Milestone necks with the TR adjustment at the peghead can easily be made to fit. They may just need to have the round heel sanded square to fit but haven't had one to try.

If you have access to a band sander you can sand less than 1/32" off each side of the heel and then dress the end of the affected frets. Sand equal amounts from each side then try for fit. Repeat as necessary. (It is helpful to be familiar with the operation of the band sander and it's adjustments so the sides of the heel remain perpendicular to the seating surface of the neck heel.) Also remove a taste from the round end of the heel below the wheel so it fits farther in the pocket. New mounting holes have to be drilled in the neck. The old holes may or may not need to be plugged. Takes about 20-30 minutes. I seal the sanded areas with Tru-Oil since it is an easily applied clear finish.

This one weighs 9lb. :) Tuner holes were enlarged for the Titans, TR cover is just for the look and the pinstripe is tape. I also have a black one done this way.

T-40 Natural CA H.jpg

2. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    That is very cool

3. If folks in Europe have trouble finding a Milestone neck ( which I doubt) then there's the Gear4Music own brand, L.A. Series and Louisiana basses. The L.A. has a slightly thinner P-bass nut width of 42mm and Louisiana is the jazz width of 38mm. Same as the Milestone the neck heel needs a very small rub with sand paper to fit.

Pictured next to a T40 neck,blocks are just stickers. All maple is also an option.
    G4M neck.JPG

4. christpncher

christpncher

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i found that an Epiphone non-reverse Thunderbird neck fit snug into a T-40 pocket.

mech likes this.
  5. Pandastylebass

Pandastylebass The Moon Machine

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here is something I saw, an Aluminium neck on a T-40
    YCE9PGd.png

Raw N Low and bholder like this.
  6. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    great info as always! thanks @mech!

mech likes this.
  7. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    EpicSoundtracks likes this.
  8. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Has anyone tried cutting the 21st fret off a Patriot or Foundation neck? At first, I thought one could bolt right up, with just a slight move back of the bridge. But, then I remembered that the T-40 bridge has a “tone block” that sits into the body where the strings run through.

9. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I've thought on that and took some measurements a good while back. They are the same width at the 20th fret so I don't see why it won't work. Besides the boss on the bottom of the T-40 bridge the base of the neck heel on a Foundation is wider than a T-40 so it won't fit the pocket unless narrowed a good bit. As far as I can tell without trying it the Foundation will fit if the heel is trimmed to be the same measurement as the T-40 past the 20th fret. Haven't had a Foundation neck to sacrifice. They are getting pretty $$$ to me and I've been pleased with less expensive and more plentiful newer Milestone necks.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  10. DanAdams

DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    mech and JEDI BASS like this.
  11. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Thanks for posting. I have a lovely t-40 that has a slight crack in the seam of the neck on the "fretboard" at the heel. I has been filled with glue and is not continuing to spread. It is a lifelong keeper, so I wanna do all I can to maintain or improve it's current condition. Any recommendations? I found it necessary to tilt the neck a bit to get great playability. But I don't have the neck screws really torqued down hard.

12. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    If it plays great, and the split isn’t spreading, it sounds like all is well with the current neck. I wouldn’t worry about it, at this point.
    :)

13. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    I have a searched saved on Reverb for one of these, and saw one with a P bass neck. Must not be that hard to make it fit, with the right tools.

"Not for the faint of shoulder" :roflmao:

mech likes this.
  14. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah! A T-40 neck (and almost all wooden bass necks actually) weighs practically nothing. I can only guess that a solid aluminum neck would weigh over 3 pounds. Add the stock T-40 tuners which weigh .94 pounds, and you’ll have a neck heavy 15+ pound bass.... no thanks!

mech and kodiakblair like this.
  15. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I would think it would be easiest to remove wood from the body, rather than reshape the neck heel. That’s the route I would take.

16. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    Well, since the number of bodies is finite, and no longer being produced I would think the relatively cheaper and still in production neck would be where I'd want to create sawdust.

Bass V and JEDI BASS like this.
  17. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    True

18. Eilif

Eilif Grooving under the MDW runway.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Slightly off topic. What's the going price for a T40 neck?
    I'm going to have a new bass made for my Darkstars and I'm trying to figure whether I should part out my custom body t-40 necked frankenbass or sell the whole thing sans pickups

19. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    if it's a maple board I'd be interested should you eventually sell the neck. I've seen a wide range asked for them.

20. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I basically came to post this. Not disappointed.

cataract likes this.