1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey T40 Help - no serial number

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marbus, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Marbus

Marbus

Apr 18, 2017
    I had to sell my Jazz bass recently but was lucky to find a Peavey T40 locally at a very good price. Everything looks correct except for the the phase reverse has been replaced. However there is just no serial number on the back of the headstock, any thoughts on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Marb

Attached Files:

2. There was "Salesmen" models built that had all zero serial numbers maybe they did some with none. Thing is that's an early 80's model so would there still be a need for salesmen by then ? Has the back of the headstock been sanded ? can't tell if it's a shadow of the tuners or remaining varnish showing in the photo.

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  3. Marbus

Marbus

Apr 18, 2017
    The back of the headstock is intact, no sanding that I can tell and it still has the patent sticker on it. Never thought of a salesman model...

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    efjqqnf0ga.

From what I've heard, there are 10 of these floating around. Never heard of a blank, could be a replacement neck?

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  5. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Replacement neck from Peavey? Makes sense to me.

6. Marbus

Marbus

Apr 18, 2017
    Replacement neck is plausible but usually those have serial numbers, at least other companies usually do.

Lug mine doesn't have any numbers at all, no zeros or anything. I have friends who work where I got it and it had been a young man's uncles or great uncles and he was looking for a guitar instead. The phase has been replaced and turned so out of phase is up rather than down. Plays great and sounds amazing, I'm just trying to figure her out a little.

Since they recently set it up and I'm happy with the setup, I haven't taken the neck or anything off to look at the neck joint yet, that may have some information.

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I've never heard of any info inside the neck pocket of a T40, but who knows? I've never heard of a neck w/o a serial number either! :D

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

My money is that it was sanded off, just really well. That is a later model so it wouldn't be a prototype or promo model. @lug I have seen a T-4o with the serial sanded off before. The only reason I knew it was off is because I knew there should be a serial there, you couldn't tell otherwise. There wasn't anything in the neck pocket from what I remember.

9. Marbus

Marbus

Apr 18, 2017
    I refurbish guitars on the side and have for 25 years, the neck hasn't been sanded at all, it's the original finish, the is no indention in the wood... a mystery I guess! I'll report back if I find anything when I take it apart before I change strings, right now just enjoying playing it, it's a beast! thanks for the help!

10. Larbacca

Larbacca

Mar 2, 2014
    Hi,
    Im considering purchasing one soon. I have seen a couple that are missing the patent text but have a serial number. Any idea what that's about?

Thanks