Peavey TKO and 115BVX cab for small clubs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Snakum, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Snakum

Jan 25, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    I'm a recovering guitarist of some 20+ years, now exploring bass and having a blast so far. It's nice to be excited about playing again. But I'm playing thru a newer PV Basic 112 and homemade 1x12 Blue Marvel extension cab that is only marginally sufficient for gigging unmic'd. Anything bigger than a small dive bar and a heavy-handed drummer would start to drown me out, I think.

In a couple months I'll be able to spend a little money on a used rig, and will spend a few days scouting the central part of the state for a PV TKO 115 and a 115BVX cab. This would give me the flexibility of a combo for practices, and then let me add the cab for gigs. It would yield 100 watts at 4 ohms with the cab, and is still light enough for me to carry (old and with a bad back :( ). This would do all the things I thought the Basic 112 and cab would do for me, but ensure I wouldn't be drowned out.

Has anyone used the newer, 'red-letter' TKO 115 combo?

Did you like it?

Does it sound similar to the Bassic 112 (I actually like the tone of the combo quite a bit)?

What do you think about the power with the cab ... loud enough?

Thanks for any help at all.
  2. 1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    Sorry, but i wouldnt think they are loud enough, a head and cab would probably be better, i just really dont think the TNT and TKO combos have enough umph to them, 100 watts isnt much in bass terms

Try looking at the Nitro (max450), Firebass (max700) heads, or maybe the new pro range coming out (looks good!), and a cab of your choice, you can pick them up pretty cheaply and are great bang for buck and reliable as hell
  3. Snakum

Jan 25, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks for the tip. I've been digging around today, and it looks like an older Nitro or Mark III/IV on 2x10 or a 1x15 might be found for under $500 if one looked hard enough.

Lotsa pawnshop haunting to be done. :D
  4. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I had a TKO a few years' back. Actually it was heavy and kinda muddy. It was loud enough for church. I sold it to a guy in a couple of local blues bands and he uses it biamped with a Peavey 210HP I sold him and he loves it.

My suggestion would be to keep the Basic 112 for practice and buy a used Nitro or Firebass on eBay and a used 12" or 15" cab to use with the one you have now. You'll have all the hump and thump you'll need.
  5. 100 watts won't get you much volume, even with 215's. You should get a decent head and a good 115 or 210+115, or the two 112 cabinet setup is really popular. I'd recommend looking for at least 350watts. If you like a mid-scooped tone even more watts are better.
    btw, Firebass heads are heavy. If you have a bad back then I wouldn't recommend a firebass, they weigh around 55lbs. The weight is concentrated on one half of the head which makes it awkward to carry with two hands. I'd wait for the new line to come out. The tour stuff looks pretty good and is half the weight.
  6. Snakum

Jan 25, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    I've looked hard at the new Max 450 (Nitro) and a couple 115BVX cabs (one for practice, two for gigs). My local Peavey guy has always given me killer deals on equipment orders, and my tax check will just about cover it.

I dunno ... still looking at options.

Thanks for the info.