1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal Advise

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by simongpaez, Feb 19, 2008.

1. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Never used any pedals, except my EBS Compressor and it really works, I guess I have always been kind of close to the idea that bass has to be clean and thats it. Any suggestions on some effects? I am not a huge fan of effects, when I play guitar I am pretty much an overdrive and clean guy thats it.

I guess there is a whole new world out there ;)

2. Jurasico

Jurasico

Feb 19, 2008
    well, thinking about it i can advise so many pedals, its better to pick only one effect i find particularly tasteful on bass:

the MXR Phase 45

take it as a great way to introduce you to phased bass sounds... its diaphanous and ethereal, makes a great soloing support (if your in 'that' tripping state :) ) ...think of Pink Floyds Breathe, and you get some of it (not the same, but texture alike)

3. Why feel the need for effects if you like your clean (compressed) bass? It's a long slippery slope ;)

Tasteful first effects could include a lot of things like overdrive, phaser, light chorus/flange, and reverb. I find it's better to search for effects that you want certain sounds for (e.g. "I hear this sound in *song* and want something similar, what do I need?")

Good luck!