Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pedal board setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hvingsand, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Hi! I'm planning my pedal board now, and could need some tips, like in wich order to put them...

Here they are:
    Big Muff russian (fuzz)
    EBS Multidrive (distortion)
    Boss BF-3 (flanger)
    Boss OC-2 (octaver)
    Boss TU-2 (tuner)
    MXR 90 (phaser)
    Akai Deep Impact :hyper: (synth, did I need to say that?)

And I could probably need a compressor to put in first (EBS multicomp or Aphex punch factory, or something like these)

Should I put distortion/fuzz last? Does the tuner make any difference? Would it be better if I purchased a Line selector?

I'd appreciate any help :)

2. Anyone?

I could also mention that my type of music is rock, so in most songs I don't need more than one or two of these at the same time - and in some songs none of these. (except from playing muse, when I'll need both the octaver, synth and fuzz)

3. Tuner you'd want at the front (otherwise you'd have to turn all the effects off to get a decent clean signal to tune with). I have my distortion at the end after my synth.

Other than the tuner, if you're getting a compressor I always thought you'd want first (excluding tuner, because it doesn't affect anything anyway) but im thinking now maybe at the end to even out effects and all that. The best thing you can do is try different formats out, listen to how certain effects affect eachother, and then decide what, in your opinion sounds best. Nobody's going to say: 'hey, that was an awesome tone you had there!' and then look at your signal chain and change their mind. So experiment :)

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    In the words of Timmy C, "If you have a good distortion box, then everything sounds good."

He goes into is distortion, then wah.

5. Here's what I'd suggest:
    Tuner
    Deep Impact
    MXR Phase 90
    (any compressor you decide to get)
    EBS Multidrive
    Muff
    (any wah you decide to get)
    OC-2
    Flanger

Personally, I like my phasers/filters/synths before compressors so that they get pure texture from me without being squashed. But, putting a compressor ahead of a distortion or fuzz could really help to even it out and not be so harsh.

6. Thanks a lot!

Wouldn't a compressor help my deep impact track better? I know it tracks pretty well, but sometimes it's having some small problems... It might be my quite cheap bass (OLP MM2).

7. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    i'd compress first... but you should really try it both ways and see what sounds best. Just play around, take any two pedals, try one first, then the next. Then add another, etc. Be patient and listen to what each effect is doing. The settings on your effects will also have a lot to do with this.

8. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    wont all those pedals suck your clean tone when bypassed?

im building my pedalboard and ordered a BOSS LS-2 for having 2 independent loops, or dependes on the setup im using for using it as a 2 channel mixer......

9. Yes and no. It's true that effects that are not true-bypass do, in fact, have some signal degradation, but so do cables, amps, cabinets, and even the quality of power in the room you're playing. I routinely play through quite a bit of pedals (sometimes 12 or more), and yes, there is some signal 'sucking', but your amp has equalization. I will tweak my amp settings to compensate.

Besides, the LS-2 is a buffered mixer...meaning it's not true-bypass. It will impart just as much (or as little) tone sucking as any Boss pedal will when bypassed.