Pedal boards - Which brand do you guys like?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Jan 22, 2009.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've been considering a Pedaltrain mini for my small suite of effects; Then it occurred to me that some wisdom on the subject might be found here on TB -

So what board do folks like? DIY, Pedaltrain, Behringer, Boss, etc etc?

thx

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'm a big Pedaltrain fan. The mini looks very cool. If you are powering your pedals with a 1spot or Godlyke I think it would work well. The larger pedaltrains now have hardware for mounting a power supply like the Voodoo Lab PPII+, which is the only thing that keeps me from getting a mini for a gig board for one of my gigs that only requires 3 or 4 pedals.

Depending on how many pedals you have, an NYC Pedalboards Lunch Box could be a good choice too.

3. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    DIY - build your own! It's cheap and a good project that you can customize to your exact needs.

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    PEDALTRAIN!

5. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
  6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I really like my NYC Lunchbox mostly cus its forced me to keep my board spending to a minimum. I did get to see a Pedaltrain 2 the other day and it looked really nice.

So, NYC or Pedaltrain gets my vote. If your looking for something quick go for the pedaltrain, or if you know exactly how big you want it and are willing to wait: NYC

7. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Build your own.

Mine's an Ikea shelf with another piece of wood underneath the middle as a support. Total cost: $5 before paint and velcro.

8. Woodell

Woodell

Jan 13, 2009
    Newport News, VA
    I just finished my own design today. It supports my bass (the two pedals on the left) and my guitar with room for growth.

Attached Files:

9. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Very cool. :)

10. B.C.

B.C.

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    After trying some things, the pedaltrain is the best for me. I like how its easier to hide cables and how clean it is. My personal favourite.

11. i really like the concept behind pedaltrains and the look of NYC pedalboards.

but honestly a DIY will give you EXACTLY what you want if your handy with a whelder, hammer or in some cases a soldering iron.

i personally like alluminium for its sturdiness but lightness but honestly just coating some wood in laminate and carpet is awesome.

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, I'd DIY if I had my old woodworking gear... but the ex has damn near everythign and I have a crappy little apt and some basses and that's about it. Sooooo, DIY is not my first choice right now...

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I like the T-Rex Tone Trunks, but every time I manage to scale my board down enough to fit on one, I think "Hmm, I've got room for a delay/pitch shifter/something else I'll never use now - I'd better buy one!"

14. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My board for the last 4 years has been the largest Pedalpad and I really like it. I've done some customizing to it, but then again I have always had to customize every board I've owned that was store bought.

I just bought a board from fellow T'Basser NickyBass, no name brand but really nice with a stepped tier in the back. We'll see how that turns out.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Also keep in mind that building one yourself will usually result in a heavier board than one made of plastic or metal, and you also have the hassle of trying to find a case to fit the board you made. After adding the cost of a case to a DIY board, a premade board that comes with a case is often about the same price, sometimes less.

I've owned boards from Pedaltrain, PedalPad, SKB, and Lyt. I'd advise you to avoid any board that comes with its own power supply unless you plan on running all standard 9v DC pedals, and the lighter the better. Pedaltrain and Lyt are my favorites so far.

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    I like pedaltrain.

Oh you can make a light board out of wood if you design it right, but I don't have the time and I work with wood all day which takes the fun out of doing it at home.

17. Pedaltrain!

18. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Mine is a piece of lumber from Home Depot, painted black, transported inside a hardshell suitcase. (Pine is very light and cheap).

If I'm going to spend money, I'd rather spend it on actual effects, and not a classy-looking carrying case. But I also like the DIY aesthetic though - and not everybody does.

19. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i want a pedaltrian and will buy one soon. some friends own A&S cases and they are just wonderful. pretty much touring material...

20. Color_Cast

Color_Cast

Jan 17, 2009
    Ankeny,IA
    I have a pedaltrain and i love it!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021