1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal Newbie

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jan 8, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Alright fellas, I need some help!

I want a pedal. For years, I have disliked effects, and pedals, but now I want to experiment with them. I don't know squat about them. I wanted to post an ad in the "Wanted" forum, but I thought I should spend a couple days in here making sure I know what I want. Heck, if you have anything you want to sell me, let me know. I am going to do a couple searches, and check around to edu-ma-cate myself also.

Here is what I do know. Earlier this year, I got a chance to mess around with fellow TB'er Zharlon's Bassballs pedal. That thing is cool. I want one. Is Bassballs the only pedal around that does that? Are there other pedals I can get to do what the Bassballs does? I saw some really nice Bass Synth devices, but I don't want to spend $200-300 right now. I want to make sure this whole effects things is for me.

Thanks everyone for your help.

-Mike

2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Bassballs is unique but IMHO very thin, but EH makes a new Tube Zipper which is tube distortion and a filter at the same time, so it's nice'n'thick. (bassballs is a 2-filter-plus-fuzz arrangement)

also of note would be the Crowther Audio Prunes'n'Custard. Never heard it myself but sounds like a fantastic pedal from what I read here on TB.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    jammadave....thanks for the info...

is there any kind of multi-effect device i can get that does what the Bassballs does and more?

-Mike

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    if I can find it, I have a zoom bfx 708 that I don't use anymore. It has a bit of everything. Good, inexpensive, and good for people that want to jump in to the effects world.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    SUH-WEET!

I hope you can find it!

-Mike