Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal Newbie

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jan 8, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Alright fellas, I need some help!

I want a pedal. For years, I have disliked effects, and pedals, but now I want to experiment with them. I don't know squat about them. I wanted to post an ad in the "Wanted" forum, but I thought I should spend a couple days in here making sure I know what I want. Heck, if you have anything you want to sell me, let me know. I am going to do a couple searches, and check around to edu-ma-cate myself also.

Here is what I do know. Earlier this year, I got a chance to mess around with fellow TB'er Zharlon's Bassballs pedal. That thing is cool. I want one. Is Bassballs the only pedal around that does that? Are there other pedals I can get to do what the Bassballs does? I saw some really nice Bass Synth devices, but I don't want to spend $200-300 right now. I want to make sure this whole effects things is for me.

Thanks everyone for your help.

-Mike

2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Bassballs is unique but IMHO very thin, but EH makes a new Tube Zipper which is tube distortion and a filter at the same time, so it's nice'n'thick. (bassballs is a 2-filter-plus-fuzz arrangement)

also of note would be the Crowther Audio Prunes'n'Custard. Never heard it myself but sounds like a fantastic pedal from what I read here on TB.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    jammadave....thanks for the info...

is there any kind of multi-effect device i can get that does what the Bassballs does and more?

-Mike

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    if I can find it, I have a zoom bfx 708 that I don't use anymore. It has a bit of everything. Good, inexpensive, and good for people that want to jump in to the effects world.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    SUH-WEET!

I hope you can find it!

-Mike