1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal Power

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by twelvevail, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Do products like the Voodoo Pedal Power and DC brick make a difference? I see people commenting that they help with noise.
    But do they do anything as far as performance/tone of pedals?

2. assuming the user has done the math, they ensure that the pedal is getting the proper amount of juice to run as it should & is not getting ground interference problems from other pedals like you could in a "daisy chained" scenario.

some "bricks" have "starve" knobs so you can get that "dying battery" effect on an analog pedal that some people find pleasing.

some feature higher voltage & mA outputs for pedals that demand more power or are built to perform with additional headroom when supplied 12v or 18v as opposed to the usual 9v.

3. jruberto

jruberto

Dec 23, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Staff Producer / Audio Engineer: Blue Tower Studio, Denver, CO & Mighty Fine Productions, Denver, CO
    this no joke -- i have one delay pedal with an odd power connector preventing me from chaining it in with my other stuff (just a onespot). it sounds fine with a brand new battery but starts getting noisy after about 20-30 mins when the battery starts losing juice.

so i found a 9v 500ma wallwart in a box, however my meter reports that it's providing 13.5v. i hardwired/soldered it to this delay pedal and it sounds GREAT, even better than with a new battery.

and i also have a distortion pedal that sounds AMAZING when the battery is so dead that you can barely see the indicator light.