1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal pre's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldogNewTrick, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I am glad you found what works for you. I have not known this one. Three parametric EQs...wow!

2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Curious what the advantage of that would be?

I’m NOT a big effects player; but do have a few of them, and tend to just put them in front of the preamp on the pedalboard. Perhaps there are certain effects that are better after the preamp, and you want to get them into the DI feed?

3. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I usually tend to do the same. I see an advantage if the FX loop has a blend knob for effects like fuzz, distortion or reverb...if I wanted to mix the clean and effected signal to keep the low end...

I am glad my preamp has this feature (EBS MicroBass II). I use it rarely though....because I use the mentioned effects rarely, I guess.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    bucephylus likes this.
  4. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Ahhh, yes, a parellel effects loop would be cool!

Zbysek likes this.
  5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I wouldn't put compressor, HPF and octaver in the FX loop though. Those are the effects I use often...

6. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Right. Probably distortion and chorus in the parallel loop and other pedals before it. That kind of thing. IIRC, there are stomp boxes that do this same thing. But, I suppose that takes up valuable space on the board.

BTW, I’ve actually taken my “preamp” off of my board. And, it does have an effects loop, but not the parallel/blend variety. I haven’t messed with that.

0748200A-0963-430E-B5B1-9A957CF26E9A.

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Most effects loops are line level, as internal processing is done that way for noise purposes. Most effects pedals are instrument level.

Jim Carr likes this.
  8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Would you need a "loop" if you can simply put effects in-line before the power amp?

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not that it should solve any problems, but the ParaDriver DI has switchable output levels between instr and line.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    That's one approach, but there is a noise penalty bringing the signal up to line level, processing it, then down to instrument level for the loop, then back up to line level for the rest of the processing and presumably the output (which should be capable of line level).

gunai and Jim Carr like this.
  11. Yup.

12. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Mind you, mine is not a gigging setup, but I have all the routing options I need.
    I route my signal via Radial BigShot EFX looper to either the Carl Martin 3-Band and/or the PF20T and sum both DI Out signals in a small analog mixer with a parallel effects loop.
    My dirt pedals are in the mixer loop, the rest in front of the pre's.
    The mixer out line level is connected to power amp in.