1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Penny Lane question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rich n, Jan 17, 2012.

1. rich n

rich n

Jan 16, 2012
    Back around 1966, Paul started messing around with his Ric and while Paul would go back to the Hofner during the white album sessions and through Abbey Road, I was under the impression that he stuck with the Ric during the Sgt Pepper sessions (including Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields, which were eventually released as singles and not included on the album)

Nowadays, Paul uses his Hofner almost exclusively during his live shows - which often includes Penny Lane. I've often heard the Hofner described as having a 'hollow' sound and in early Beatles recordings, I can hear that. But to me, when I hear the Beatles version of Penny Lane, it almost sounds like a Hofner (vs the Ric)...Does anyone have any insight on that?

Sorry if this is a naive question as I'm not experienced - other than simply having been a fan of Paul's for many years (and as an aside, I'm buying my first bass on Friday - which is the Hofner Icon series bass)