1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pentatonic Passages.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Audiopip, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Audiopip

Audiopip

Mar 21, 2010
    Hey, I have asked my lecturer at college about this and I don't think he is quite sure about what I am talking about.

I asked him if he could tell me if what I thought the pentatonic passages were, was correct.

Now they might have a different name but I am under the impression that the pentatonic passages are similar to the modes in where you use the same notes of the minor/major pentatonic scales to form other scales.

Would be really helpful if someone could shed some light on this for me thanks.

Phillip.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Do you mean different positions? Like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc??

Because yes, there is. Just like the modes are merely different starting points of the same scale.

Like E Phrygian consists of E F G A B C D E (F Lydian, G Mixolydian, A Aeolian, etc..) And could be played as one of the other modes, you can play E minor pentatonic E G A B D starting on G for G A B D E or A for A B D E G.

Your question was fairly confusing, when I google "pentatonic passages" I get some guy's instructional DVD and this post....

I hope this helps, don't know if answered the question at all.

3. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills

May 12, 2011
    Not sure exactly what your asking but Gezzer Butler of black sabbath made a fortune playing mainly around the minor pentatonic scale. If someone were to ask me for an example of a pentatonic passage on the bass. I think I would point them to the beginning of N.I.B

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    The question would indeed confuse because Pent means five, so a Pentatonic scale would be expected to have five notes over the octave, of which any can be used to form runs and passages.....not all notes need to be used, it can be based on the five notes and in any order. Modes have seven notes over the octave, eight when played as a scale because the first note will repeat itself again as the eighth note., and again they can be used to play and create passages.
    What they both share is key, so each can be used as Major or minor and in any of the 12 keys. There are many ways to construct Pentatonic scales due to the fact that only five notes are used over the octave, but the Major and minor Pentatonic scales are a great place to start. Check out what TB member Scott Devine has to say on the subject.

Free Online Bass Lessons | ScottsBassLessons.com

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I take back me response..... Geezer Butler is the master of "pentatonic passages" Good call