Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Percy Jones is a helluva bassist!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Dec 15, 2004.

1. I just recently heard his work with Brand X on "Morrocan Roll" and "unorthodox behaviour" and he is just simply amazing. His phrasing and voicing is way out there and he has the harmonic knowledge to match Jaco himself. If you haven't heard him check out the above said CD. If you have, do you know of any other projects he did that you could recommend? Thanks.

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Percy is one of my fav's.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He's an amazing bassist. I wish more younger players got into him the way they dig Jaco. They'd be very impressed.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Percy actually posted here on Talkbass once or twice in Dann Glenn's (spelling?) old forum.

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have heard some songs, they are very cool. I really need to buy some cd's from amazon.com..

6. AMAZING PLAYER!!! If you can find his instructional VHS get it. It is REALLY good!!!

7. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Brilliant player doesnt over do any songs knows just how to make himself a crucial part while giving others thier space!
    Great band in fact love thier stuff!

8. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Percy is great. I have the VHS, but I must say that I didn't get anything out of it. Its cool to watch but has no instruction to it really. I also saw him live earlier this year with Tunnels and he sounded great on some songs and really busy on others.

I do love his style. Its very abstract one minute and then kinda groovy the next. He is like an alien from another planet! I totally agree on the Jaco comment. Young players should recognize. I got into him when I was 19. To play like Percy is to take a whole different approach to bass. His style is so busy, but it fits the music so well. I really love his use of harmonic slides.

When I first heard him I changed my entire aresenal to fretless basses. Of course I have changed all that since I got into Stuart Zender. To me Percy will always be one of the most unique bass players of all time.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah Percy is the bomb... his use of those harmonic slides are hip.

What is he upto these days?

Another Brand X album to get is Livestock...

Y'all realize Phil Collins is playing drums on those Brand X albums? And where there are two drummers has Kenny Dennard joining Phil as well.

10. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Percy is awesome on those brandx albums, I saw a live video somewhere it was pretty recent. I'll try to find it again.

does brandx have any recent releases?

11. I have livestock as well, great stuff

Phil Collins is a totally different animal in Brand X. I heard his stuff in Genesis and his solo stuff and thought "meh, he's got some pretty catchy beats". Then I heard Brand X and was completely blown away, I thought no way could this be Phil playing. Now definately one of my favorite drummers.

12. Moroccan Roll and Product are two of my favorite Brand X albums.

Unlike some fretless bassists, Percy Jones has a style that is very difficult to comprehend and imitate, (believe me I've tried). I can figure out Donna Lee, but there's no way in hell I can figure out what he's doing in the beginning of "Not good enough, see me!" from Product.

13. Foo-O-Matic

Foo-O-Matic

Aug 10, 2004
    Israel
    Percy is really cool indeed, his sound is pretty unique...
    you can check his album with Tunnels "Progressivity" - awsome album, experimental and bizzare, just how I like it :)

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I know doesn't even seem llike the same person.

15. Percy's current project, Tunnels, records with Buckyball Music, http://www.buckyballmusic.com . There are some sound clips and video clips on the site.

Mike