1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Perfect Tone!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have had a 2008 Fender American Standard Jazz V since July last year, and I have been very happy with it. It kills through a Sadowsky preamp when I use it in church, but lately, I have been rehearsing a lot with a classic rock band that I have formed with local music veterans. I had never played rock seriously, I have mainly been listener over the years, most of my playing had been funk, urban gospel, or smooth jazz. All I can say is that my Jazz is sheer perfection when it comes to rock! Going through my Markbass, I honestly cannot imagine a bass sounding any better for this kind of music. I totally achieve the tone that is in my head! All I can say is that my Fender is worth every single penny I have paid for it.:cool:

Similarly, I let go of my MTD Kingston, realized I made a mistake, and managed to pick up another one from a local TB'er. He modded it with Seymour Duncan Basslines pickup and a Aguilar preamp. He also moved the pickup to the Stingray position. I used this bass in choir practice yesterday, and it was absolutely perfect! I don't think I will ever, and I mean ever let my Kingston go again.

I have to say that I am just tickled to death to be able to honestly say that I have been able to nail perfect tones for the music that I play.:cool::bassist::cool:

2. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    That is awesome, Doc C! Does my heart good to read someone is happy with what they have!

Rock on, Doc!

:bassist:

3. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Ain't it beautiful? :) :)

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Doc, I have some great basses. But lately, my "go-to" has been my '08 Am. Std. Jazz (although mine's a 4-string). Probably the least attractive bass in my stable, but I just love the tone.

When I first got it, I picked up some Nordstrand NJ4's with the obvious intention of swapping out the pups. After setting it up to my liking, I thought, "I LOVE this tone. Why bother swapping them out?" So I didn't. The Nordy's are still sitting in the box awaiting their turn. Bottom line, I've been very impressed with that '08 Jazz.

5. The great thing about a jazz is that it will fit in and make a good sound or at least do a reasonable job in any scenario! I use my fretless jazz for pretty much everything now, even fusion stuff! It helps me get the "Spirit of Jaco" thing going on!

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am very happy with my Jazz. I think it will be the first bass in a long time that will end up keeping more than a year. In fact, I intend to make this bass a "keeper." I'm certain new basses will catch my eye, but I intend to never get rid of this Jazz. I also think my Kingston is a keeper. The body profile and neck shape are incredibly comfortable, and with the electronics mods, this bass also has a seriously killer tone too.

I'm really happy to finally stumbled into a line up that really works for me, and leaves me with a smile on my face.:cool:

BTW my little Markbass 121CMP is fantastic too!:D I will probably get another 1x12 cab when the band starts gigging though.:bassist:

7. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Hey Dr. Cheese. You got any pictures of the Kingston?

8. I also love my '08 MIA Standard 4 string. It's the best bass I've played since...forever. I've had a lot of basses in the past few years and it beats them all.

9. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Doc, I also had the same exact jazz bass. 08 oly white / rosewood 5. 4 months into ownership, I had 0 complaints about the bass. The only reason why I traded it was because a local craigslist'er wanted to do a straight up trade for a modulus quantum 5. (crazy good deal for me) While i am absolutely in love with my modulus, i seriously miss my jazz. i swear i will own another very soon.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'll post some today or tomorrow.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a great trade in your favor! As much as I love my Jazz, that would tempt me too.:ninja:

12. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I guess Jazz means Rock when it comes to Fender:bassist:

13. lowdownwalt

lowdownwalt

Mar 23, 2008
    BC Canada
    That's FANTASTIC Doc... you deserve it! :cool:

14. Dr. Cheese