1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Personal Monitor?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by A. Munk, Oct 5, 2010.

1. A. Munk

A. Munk Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    san francisco bay area
    Sometimes I'd like to hear myself a little more clearly and it got me to thinking about a few things....
    Wondering if anyone has any experience using something like this?
    http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1915-PAM5A_PERSONAL_POWERED_MONITOR_SPEAKER.html
    I'd be using it in addition to my regular rig( Walter Woods and various cabs.)

Another thought is to use a 10" cab facing up in addition to the regular rig. Do you think the speaker would be O. K. in that position?.
    Any other ideas?

2. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have never needed a personal monitor. I understand that some other bands have quite a bit more going on in terms of stage volume, but I would try to get my rig closer to me.

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I use a PJB Flightcase which gives me my monitor. :)

4. this setup is really sweet. really fantastic for acoustic gigs that are on the edge of being loud enough for an amp, and for louder gigs where you're struggling to hear yourself, so you can play in tune.

of course, you have things like speaker stands and all the other stuff that folks obsess about, too.

jeff.

5. A. Munk

May 11, 2005
    san francisco bay area

6. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I can't imagine a speaker like that reproducing the low end well for you especially if you are looking to send your bass into it. I could be completely wrong though. It would be more expensive, but a wireless in-ears using ear buds that have a bass driver like Westone UM2 or UM3s would also work if you have the coin. I double and I just have the sound guy (our drummer) send me enough bass in my in-ears to be satisfied. But when doing the jazz thing we do, I never use a monitor. Just not playing loud enough.

7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    The "mains" or your own "other amp" fills in the bottom. IME monitors can/should be cut to a little thinner response for clarity. I built my own 2x5" stand monitors back in the 70's; the powered Alto unit I found is just a modern and better update to that concept. I heard the details from the little monitor, and all the low bass bouncing around the room from the 15"/horn PA speakers and/or my main bass amp took care of the lows.

8. A. Munk

May 11, 2005
    san francisco bay area
    Thanks all.
    I think i'm leaning toward something like the the powered Alto unit.
    This might really help with having amp wars with some of the guys.

9. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Hey Bob,
    2 questions-
    Can the Alto unit be used in line (between the preamp and the board) with my AMT SP25B?
    Will the PA desk phantom power pass back through to my preamp??
    -Jeff

10. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    1- Yes, but since you have the SP (Super Preamp) AMT model there are three outputs from it, and you can use an unused 1/4" or XLR AMT preamp output to feed the Alto.
    2- I would doubt it but have never tested that, but with the other outputs above it won't be necessary.

11. That's what I'm using.
    A Yorkville wedge monitor as an extension cabinet, in front of me.