Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mutt, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Mutt

Jan 10, 2006
    My hands sweat uncontrollably and almost never stop. I've had this problem ever since I was a little kid. It's eaten up kart racing gloves, golf gloves, suede shoes, my computer mouse, and about eight sets of classical guitar strings a year.
    I've just recently started playing bass and when I put a set of Ernie Ball slinkies on, the tone was dull after just a few hours of playing, even though I had applied talcum powder to my hands.
    Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do before I waste my money on another set of strings?
  2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Now, it looks as this may be something you just have to live with (I'm sorry to say). There are a few things that might help you though...make sure to give the strings a very thorough wipe down after you play...but I'm sure you already do this.

Maybe look into Elxier Nanoweb strigns, this "nanoweb" coating fights the grime and corrsion that casues deadness for a good while (but they are xpensive, so you might wanna try one set "just to see".)

Also, look up the use of "denatured alcohol" on these boards. I've never used it, but apparently it can revive dead sounding strigns like a miracle healer, so look into it!
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    *moved to technique*
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's an extreme and expensive remedy I have read about for excessive sweaters. Some doctors are giving Botox for that. Trouble is, I don't know if the Botox is given for hand sweating. I think it is for underarm problems. It might impact your ability to play.

I looked it up. What you have is called hyperhidrosis. The web site I went to is sponsored by surgeons. They have a simple surgical technique that is done quickly and you are released in a couple of hours. They do something to a nerve that causes the excessive sweating.

I don't know if you want to go to such an extent and don't even know if the surgery is available in your area or how much it costs or how long it is effective. You might discuss your situation with your family physician and ask him for ideas.

In the meantime, have you considered rubbing an anti-perspirant on your hands?
  5. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    there is this deoderant called "certain-dri" that is used for people who sweat a lot. it works *really* well.

I bet if you put that on your hands it would work....
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Etienne M'Bappe has this problem.
    He plays with silk gloves.
  7. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Doesn't botox paralyse the muscles in around the area its injected causing a constantly suprised look on all of todays major stars. Might stop the sweating but would also stop the playing. A case of the cure is worse than the illness. I think it's just something you have to live with as well. But definitely give the deoderant a shot. Would talcum powder although dry up the sweat also get around the strings causing them to die quicker? Once it soaked up the sweat it had to go somewhere as well. Also I think Ernie Ball strings tend not to last very long. I've had some break on me before which hasn't happened with the d'addario strings I use.
  8. +1
  9. ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    there's a minor operation that you can do that will clear this up for good. talk to your doctor about it. my cousin went for it and now his hands dont sweat anymore.

someone mentioned above that its about cutting a nerve. this is right. you are put on general, then they collapse your lungs and cut a nerve in your back area. its connected to your palms in some way. its a keyhole op of some sorts. dont ask me for more info, talk to your doc. im not a doc.

you'll be up and walking in a few hours.
  10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    In the past I have used rubbing alchohol on my hands which seems to make them less clamy for awhile.
  11. steve21

steve21 Banned

Jason Newstead uses waterproof sadowskys.
  12. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Not everyone walks away from this successfully. I have hyperhidrosis myself and have looked into this. Some report being worse off(not from sweathing, but other complications) than they were before surgery. Perhaps you should look into an alternative to aluminum-based anti-perspirants...

I recommened you surf through these anyway.

13. They paralyze the muscles in facial botox to prevent wrinkles.
    In the case of botox for hyperhydrosis, they paralyze the sweat glands.