1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PF500+115 for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by M Attacker, Nov 8, 2018.

1. M Attacker

M Attacker

Apr 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Hi. So my practice amp at home is embarrassing. I found a good beat on an Ampeg PF-500 and matching 15 cab. Should I get it?

Main rig is Mesa subway 800 and full stack diesel cab. I’m in love with that. Stupid loud, even at noon, which would be the high side of where I run it. I don’t want to replace it. It’s at a studio. This would be for at home like I mentioned....but for shows that I don’t feel like moving the Diesel....would this amp be enough? Would the cab be nice to Frankenstein into a more travel friendly/backup rig? I have another 2x10 200RMS I could connect.

And, a lot of peeps say it cuts out. Is that just early production models or something? Thanks for help in advance. I find these forums very knowledgeable.

2. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Yep, back in earlier production there were gremlins. Do a search and you'll find much to read. The 500 has been clean for a while and seems to be a solid value. I have the 800, which for me is a worthy gigging amp. I also have the 115 and like it as well. I've had no problems with the rig and recommend it if you're looking for that Ampeg tone in a portable package.

Wisebass likes this.
  3. M Attacker

M Attacker

Apr 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Thanks. So the guy selling seems alittle ignorant. Not the charismatic sort. Is there a production date listed on it so I can check the date of it? See if its in lemon territory?

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
  5. M Attacker

M Attacker

Apr 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Thanks! Seems good for at home. Still I want a back-up rig for live play. I worry the 500w will struggle even with extension cab.....this lil guy is 200w

iagtrplyr and jeff7bass like this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi M Attacker :)

Some of the early PF500s had that problem. :( (but not all of them! :))

The "lemon territory" is REV "A" to "F" (afaik) (Do a search for "PF500 problems")

PF500 main.

That said, a good friend of mine has a REV "D", that never had a problem, since he bought it used, two years ago.
    (Heavy metal cover band, stupid loud, 3 hour gigs every second weekend, 2 loud! band rehearsals/ week + everyday practice)

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

iagtrplyr and eriky4003 like this.
  7. M Attacker

M Attacker

Apr 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Thanks much!

8. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Not that it's night and day difference, but you could move up to the PF-800. 400 watts at 8 ohms and 800 watts into 4 ohms. I own this one and run it with the 115 and/or 210 cabs. Never have had a problem with it and she's got some oomph. I bought mine used for four bills and it was two years old at the time.

M Attacker likes this.
  9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Everyone Sing
    A, B ,C ,D ,E ,F, G how many revisions till it stops failing. Lol

They are pretty cheap these days though.
    Could be a okish practice or backup amp

M Attacker and wizard65 like this.