Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phantom underpowering?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jondog, Oct 15, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    If a condenser mic wants 48v phantom and I give it 41.4v, will it work?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Probably, depends on the mike...some mikes may be more sensitive to voltage than others. Lower voltage typically reduces the max SPL the mike can handle.

I used to own a Shure board that put out 24V phantom and it worked fine with my EV condensers. I'd get wary if the phantom is well below 24 volts.

So what the heck puts out 41.4V????

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I dunno . . . the mfr. site for the M-Audio Audio Buddy does not list a phantom voltage, a magazine review says 41.4v, and an ebay seller says 48v. GC is blowing them out so I'll probably just buy one anyway.

4. They are 48 volt. At least, that's what they are supposed to be. What mic is it that you need power for?

Rock on
    Eric

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK cool. It's an MXL cheap condenser mic. 990 I think. I already bought it, but haven't tried it yet, and the "manual" lists no phantom voltage #.

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    For what its worth, most condensors don't need a full 48v. Like Brianrost said 24v will get it done most of the time. Don't sweat that .6 volts.

7. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Boy, I hate to resurrect such an old thread, but I have a question about underpowering with respect to current, not voltage. Has anyone ever run across a situation on modern boards where a condenser mic's sound quality or SPL tolerance suffered because it wasn't getting sufficient current? I just got a mic that needs somewhere between 5 and 6 ma, which I believe is on the high side, though not unreasonable. I'm assuming both the Peavey PV-8 and the ART Tube MP I have coming in soon can supply this current. Is that a safe assumption or a foolish one? Neither manufacturer quotes its phantom power current capacity, only its voltage. The PV-8 uses global phantom power, so I'm assuming one voltage source for multiple mics means I'll be okay with just this one mic requiring phantom power, but what are your thoughts on the Tube MP? Or on modern phantom-power circuits' current capacity in general, relative to mics that need upwards of 5 ma?

Thanks in advance.

8. oddly, ive experienced weak phantom power screwing with a mic. apparently, neumann mics DONT like anything BUT 48v, and prefer a transformerless pre. otherwise it starts to distort in a not musical way. this was in an small neve console.

9. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, that's the sort of behavior I'm hoping not to see with this condenser. Except here I know I'll have 48 volts, I just don't know if I'll have the 5+ mA of current the mic needs. I did a lot of web searching and found nothing. Checked at random a couple of external phantom power supplies' specs; both top out at 14 mA. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing. The other thing is that this is an SM86, pretty popular, and so if there were problems with too-high current consumption I'm sure I'd have been able to find at least some evidence of it somewhere on the web, and I haven't been able to.