1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Lesh

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DblG, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Phil Lesh is one of those guys who, if he never played a note and just gave interviews where he talked about playing bass, I'd be his biggest fan: The whole way he describes his approach to the instrument, its function, his whole attitude and willingness to investigate atypical avenues for bass playing, it all comes across as a kindred spirit, someone whose vision of music I would really dig

...and then I listen to his playing and I think "Huh? That's it? What happened to all the cool ideas?"

2. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    None of your links currently work. Easy to fix: just drop that first "http://"

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    it takes an above average attention span to dig what phil does. the gd could sound from awesome to atrocious but ya know what? phil was usually on, so blame the other dudes ;)

on the stuff I've heard by phil & friends (not a very good band imo) and the current dead tour (better than i expected but still not worth 100 bucks a ticket haha), phil's playing is the one element that consistently sounds great

that said, he's not much of a pocket player is he?

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I think Phil's groove is as good as it ever has been. I can't wait to hear him on his new Ritter bass.

G

5. I enjoyed Phil's interview in BP and was glad to see him on the cover. I'm picking up his book at the library tonight.
    Gotta love the GD. On a good night, they were as good as it gets.

6. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I'll chime in. I've always digged Phil's playing, mostly his very melodic approach to the bass line. My guitar player buddy and I caught the Dead last Sunday in Greensboro. Good show, but Phil was NOWHERE near loud enough. Sometimes you couldn't even hear him. About halfway through the second set it sounded like they brought him up in the mix, but for most of the show a lot of the low end wasn't there. But it really was cool to see the Ritter bass all lit up on the dark stage when they came out!

7. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Sorry about that! Fixed...:D

8. Check out this Phil and Friends show... rocks!

http://www.archive.org/details/2001-04-20.paf.sbd.philleshnet.4230.sbefail.flacf

I caught the Verizon Center show in DC. normally that place sounds horrible, they had it dialed in perfectly. Phill's tone cut right through. No boomy low end, but very piano like clarity. This tour (or at least that show) they jammed a lot. They approached it with a very minimlistic attitude. Less is more. At one point Phil took a vocal lead in Peggy-o and completely stopped playing his bass, but it sounded great!

9. I saw Phil with his Ritter last summer and he was WAY too quiet as well. It wasn't the acoustics either, the venue sounded amazing. IMO it might be that the Ritter just doesn't cut through well. I could hear the highs occassionally crunching through, but it sounded kinda mushy. When I saw him with his Modulus, his tone was very clear.

10. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    +1 on that man! I gotta hear that thing. it looks amazing!

EDIT: Heard it on the video. Sounds great from what I cant hear.

11. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    If you watch the clips, he's shown quite a bit with it. Sounds great if you have a sub w/your computer speakers...

12. Phil looks like David Bowie w/glasses at a quick glance.

13. KingLouie

KingLouie

Apr 16, 2009
    What's a pocket player?

14. You have not heard of playing pocket pool?

15. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    Saw them last night in Wilkes-Barre PA. Imo Phil sounded great in a venue that's not noted for it's acoustics. I thought the vocals were a little muddy.

16. BassShreddr

BassShreddr

Apr 4, 2009
    Thanks for the link. Gotta love 'em and that chunka-chunka vibe Phil lays down!

17. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Fixed for you. :D

18. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    ^^:rollno: