1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Lynott, where's the praise?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DoomandHeavy, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Phil Lynott is one of the greatest Hard Rock bass players I've ever heard, and I find it strange that no one here ever says anything about him. I love how he plays for the song, rather than his ego. So who else loves this awesome and criminally underrated bassists?

2. ChorusPedal88

ChorusPedal88

Aug 25, 2007
    He is very well praised on here, along with John Deacon and so on, heres to Big Phil (raises glass)

He loved that phaser I tell ya.

3. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    yeah, I absolutely love Phil and Thin Lizzy.

I have these albums:

Bad Reputation
    Chinatown
    Dedication
    Fighting
    Jail Break
    Johnny The Fox
    Live & Dangerous
    Vagabonds Of The Western World

4. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Great player, great sound. A quick search of his name in titles only yields a couple of pages of results.

5. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Plenty of love for Phil here!
    Don't Believe me if I tell ya...Not a word of this is true

6. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Me me me! Plus he sang, wrote songs, was the frontman. A quadruple threat...

7. You guys should check out the new (old) Still Live and Dangerous. 1977 in Philadelphia on on the Bad Reputation tour....rockin'!

8. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Love the guy.
    Always exemplified what a rock and roll bass player is IMO.

9. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    One of the baddest singing bass players ever! Ive read he was pretty damn tough too.

10. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    Philip was an amazing talent, no doubt. Great songwriter, charismatic frontman, groovin' bass player.

11. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Praise, praise, praise!

Broke a lot of barriers in a quiet way, that one!

12. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    I don't know. I'm not feelin' it from you guys. I don't think your love for Phil's playing is sincere.

13. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    I visited Phil Lynott's grave in Howth (outside of Dublin) back in '92. My beautiful red-headed girlfriend (who was a HUGE "Tin Lizzy" fan) and I had a "quickie" (luckily it was the rare warm and sunny day) and left some flowers and a Guinness for Ol' Phil. Since the gravesite is in a cloister some nun probably wound up drinking the Guinness!

If you grew up with dark skin in Dublin, you'd be a tough mothe****ker, too. A very xenophobic and insular place (at least, it was back then. I've heard it has changed).

How's that for love?

14. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    I believe Phil was a big influence on another of my favourite under-rated bass players Doug Pinnick of King's X, who is also songwriter, frontman and a heck of a bass player.

Thin Lizzy was awesome... thanks for the amazing tunes Phil, if I didn't thank you already.

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Do a search and you will find a couple of great threads with links to youtube performances, etc.

I always dug his playing and whole vibe... great rock bassists.

And... how cool is it to have a life size statue in front of your favorite Dublin pub!

dublin.

16. Check out his playing on Vagabonds of the Western World, it's one of the earlier, slightly more folksy albums and the bass playing is far more adventurous than the later stuff. The bass is seriously up front in the mix too, I believe it's a Rickenbacker.

Little Girl in Bloom is one of my favourite bass tracks ever, and a gorgeous song to boot. It also has a beautiful guitar solo, courtesy of the under-rated Mr Eric Bell.

17. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    wheres the love? right here. even tried to home make a mirrored scratchplate for my stingray in his honour. he is a direct influence on my playing.

18. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Whiskey in the Jar was on China Town, right?:confused:

19. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Phil and Lizzy were a very powerful live band in thier day.

20. Milldawg

Milldawg

Apr 4, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Love the guy and his playing, plus his tragic death was a big boot in the a## for me to get into rehab and get sober way way back in the day