1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

piccollo bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigBbass451, May 16, 2004.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    I was reading an article in my bass player magazine and it said something about stringing a bass like a piccollo bass. what is that? how do u do it? how does it sound? :bassist:

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, a tenor bass is tuned A-D-G-C. If my memory serves me right, a piccolo bass is tuned an octave up from a standard bass- E-A-D-G, except one octave higher. I don't really get it myself... why is it called a bass if it is essentially a four string guitar? :confused: The pick-up configuration maybe...

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It is a bass that is tuned e-a-d-g (an octave above normal EADG tuning of a regular bass). It's basically the bottom four strings of a guitar with bass spacing and scale.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There are a few piccolo players here (like me) and they're certainly fun, but rather interesting. It's no longer the typical role of a bassist, but still a familiar feel.

5. would i need special strings to do this? who makes picollo strings?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    LaBella, D'Addario, Ken Smith, etc.

7. thanks, i think i might pick up an SX jazz, and make it a piccolo bass. it would be a nice little change.

8. 1) "Piccolo" is the right spelling :)
    2) For your project, it might be interesting the use of a 32" 0r even 30" scale bass, as a Mustang, Musicmaster or other: since the "non bass" use, it will definitely result in a more confortable instrument; better "string bending" capability, too.
    3) if you want to see a good example of a "piccolo electric bass" in use, get the "Miles Davis in Paris" DVD, where you will find Foley Mc Creary on a weird whammy bar equipped instrument (34" standard scale). Uh: Benny Rietveld on REAL bass, btw!

Miles DVD at Amazon

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    For those of you wanting to experiment with a piccolo tuning, be aware that you may have to cut a new nut. I tried just slapping a piccolo string set on my Rickenbacker, but the E and G strings sat too low and laid across the first fret unless I raised the action uncomfortably high. But, your mileage may vary and all that. Musician's Friend has the D'Addario set for $15 or thereabouts.

10. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i bet a dano would make a cool piccolo

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Because were not guitar players!

:D :D

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Try it with a shorter scale hollow-body like a beatle bass or a Rivoli or something like that. A friend of mine had one several years back, and it led to a lot of smiles at jam sessions.