Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

piccollo bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigBbass451, May 16, 2004.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    I was reading an article in my bass player magazine and it said something about stringing a bass like a piccollo bass. what is that? how do u do it? how does it sound? :bassist:

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, a tenor bass is tuned A-D-G-C. If my memory serves me right, a piccolo bass is tuned an octave up from a standard bass- E-A-D-G, except one octave higher. I don't really get it myself... why is it called a bass if it is essentially a four string guitar? :confused: The pick-up configuration maybe...

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It is a bass that is tuned e-a-d-g (an octave above normal EADG tuning of a regular bass). It's basically the bottom four strings of a guitar with bass spacing and scale.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There are a few piccolo players here (like me) and they're certainly fun, but rather interesting. It's no longer the typical role of a bassist, but still a familiar feel.

5. would i need special strings to do this? who makes picollo strings?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Labella, D'Addario, Ken Smith, etc.

7. thanks, i think i might pick up an SX jazz, and make it a piccolo bass. it would be a nice little change.

8. 1) "Piccolo" is the right spelling :)
    2) For your project, it might be interesting the use of a 32" 0r even 30" scale bass, as a Mustang, Musicmaster or other: since the "non bass" use, it will definitely result in a more confortable instrument; better "string bending" capability, too.
    3) if you want to see a good example of a "piccolo electric bass" in use, get the "Miles Davis in Paris" DVD, where you will find Foley Mc Creary on a weird whammy bar equipped instrument (34" standard scale). Uh: Benny Rietveld on REAL bass, btw!

Miles DVD at Amazon

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    For those of you wanting to experiment with a piccolo tuning, be aware that you may have to cut a new nut. I tried just slapping a piccolo string set on my Rickenbacker, but the E and G strings sat too low and laid across the first fret unless I raised the action uncomfortably high. But, your mileage may vary and all that. Musician's Friend has the D'Addario set for $15 or thereabouts.

10. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i bet a dano would make a cool piccolo

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Because were not guitar players!

:D :D

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Try it with a shorter scale hollow-body like a beatle bass or a Rivoli or something like that. A friend of mine had one several years back, and it led to a lot of smiles at jam sessions.