Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick or Pluck

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by IbanezGSR, Oct 13, 2004.

1. IbanezGSR

IbanezGSR

Oct 13, 2004
    I just bought a new 4-string bass, this is my first bass and i am not sure if i should pick or pluck, can someone help me

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This thread has been done a million times...

That said, pluck. Figerstyle has much more universal uses, but know the pick as well. It has it's uses.

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    PIckity piCk of you play punK. Flickity flick for everythNg else :).

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Hammer. How do you get a proper note without a great amount of force? :eyebrow:

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Pluck. I can't stand using a pick. I'd say start out plucking when you start to discover what kind of sounds you like try using a pick, see if you like it better.

6. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I know how I get a proper note, I turn the volume up a few notches. Nothing like driving your amp at 80% capacity to bring out the tone in your fingers.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

learn both techniques. they both have their place, and are valuable.

i am moving this to technique.

8. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    Play with a pick. Then
    Play with a flick.

Whatever you like best really.

9. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    pick, its all ive ever known

10. Once again I agree with you again dude
    Although I use fingerstyle more then pick but, when a gig or studio comes by for me to use a pick I'm sweet

11. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    +1

Its better to know it and not need it, than to need it and not know it. :D

12. Well, I'd agree, but I'm primarily a pick player now cuz I wanted all my notes to sound like they were being slapped, except i wouldn't have all the brightness. I DID start out on fingers, and then after I knew what type of rock i liked (metal, death metal, punk, all types), I knew that pick was the way to go for an attack. the only time i want to use fingers now is unless I'm playing something that really needs to sound tender, or if i feel like doing the whole funk/RnB/slap deal.

all In all, if you think playing with fingers makes a difference between a pick, your only partially right. The other half of the deal (that stands out more) is what sound your dialing into your preamp on your rig, and how your utilizing the pickups on your bass.

13. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i use a pick for anything fast.i've seen some metal bassists use their fingers, got no idea how they can do it though :eyebrow: but i do love the sound of fingers for slower songs

14. Be a man and use your teeth. All the cool kids do it.

Leigh

15. darkjoker667

darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    Starting out you should play with your fingers for a majority of the time. Playing fingerstyle allows you to do different right hand techniques without worrying about a pesky piece of plastic in your hand. As you progress( and get an amp if you don't have one already, which makes fingerstyle sound A LOT better compared to just playing without an amp) you can decide what technique to use primarily.

You should use both techniques though, at least in an experimental format. I believe the ideal bassist should be adept at both fingerstyle and pick, for both have their advantages. Fingerstyle is great for groove while pick is better for fast black metal-type lines.

16. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Word. Great advice. I usually play fingerstyle with bands with clean guitars but a pick is necessary with any kind of distorted guitar bands just to cut through. As most of you know, friggin guitarists have to turn up louder than hell most of the time! :bassist:

17. Try both and see what YOU like or what feels most comfortable. You may find both have their uses.

18. Minibenit

Minibenit

Oct 10, 2004
    England
    Personally I prefer finger playing as I can play faster with my finger, but picking can be very useful, it all depends on what music you are playing..