Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pick style hand position

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by napalmslayer, Feb 10, 2006.

1. napalmslayer

napalmslayer

Feb 1, 2006
    I am having a hard time with my picking hand. I play metal, and i like to play by the bridge. But i am always scraping the bridge pickup. Its the only spot thats comfortable for me to play fast. and my hand keeps cramping up because i am trying to keep the pick even with the string so it makes a clear sound. So anyone have any advise?? thanx

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    How low are you wearing your bass? That's probably a major contributor to your hand pain... plus, what type of bass are you playing?

3. napalmslayer

napalmslayer

Feb 1, 2006
    I have a ibanez gsr200. I have the strap as far low as it could go.

4. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    This is why you're only comfortable playing near the bridge. If I wore my strap that low, I don't think I could find any truly comfortable place to pick the string.

Simply put, ideal technique dictates a higher strap setting than a good number of players would like to consider. However, if you want to have even tone, expressive dynamics, speed, and a general control of your instrument, the physical limitations of wearing your bass that low will definitely slow your improvement.

5. napalmslayer

napalmslayer

Feb 1, 2006
    www.napalmdeath.org/gallery/gallery/live/R003-013.jpg

I dont know how to post a picture, but if you copy and past that link, thats shane embury. My bass is probably the same spot as him. But i dont get how he can play so fast and clear with is picking hand over the fret board like that. I just cant find a comfortable spot to play really fast metal riffs.

6. :D
    Check it out:

Sit down. Play your bass at the most comfortable position possible.

Now.... hold it in that position, and stand up with it like that..
    That's a good starting point for you...

.I tend to put my bass just a little lower when I stand, and point the headstock up just slightly from my sitting position..

7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Ok, to be more clear, shorten your strap and it'll very likely get rid of the pain, so at least give it a try for a week or two. You might not look as cool, but grimacing with wrist pain isn't a very hip look either.