Pickguard is not touching the body completely

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ugie, Dec 28, 2021.

1. ugie

ugie

Dec 18, 2021
    Netherlands
    Hi everyone,

A new member here.

Due to covid lockdown and everything, I decided to engage in some kind of indoor hobby this winter, so I decided to buy a bass guitar, which I did.

I bought Fender Precision Bass (Player Series). My bass arrived last week and while inspecting it I noticed the pickguard is bended upwards at some parts and not touching the body. In case my English doesn't make sense, I attached a photo here.

Is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. Drummerboy2

Drummerboy2

Aug 31, 2016
    SoCal
    No, that is not normal.

3. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    Welcome!

No, it needs an adjustment, either around the neck, around the pickup or the screw holes are not correct and need to be adjusted. Slightly loosen the guard screws and see if it does seat correctly. If it fits correctly, place only the screws that correspond to the holes and then correct the position of the others. If it still doesn't fit, a more difficult adjustment will be necessary around neck or pickup.

-Asdfgh- likes this.
  4. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Gold Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    Do the screws on either side of the hump appear to be straight, or maybe they look angled slightly?

5. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Slide a pick in there so you can reach it if need it.

6. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    My lowly Squier came without this feature :(

7. ugie

ugie

Dec 18, 2021
    Netherlands
    So I actually took out all screws and try to see if pickguard could be fit correctly: no luck. The pickguard itself is bended even when all screws are taken off.
    Either pickguard was mal-constructed and had that humpy-bumpy shape in the first place or it took that form later resting on that body incorrectly for a long time.

The fact that the pickguard sits much much better when I press on it against the body kinda suggests that it is the pickguard itself that has mal-formation all along (yet I am not sure).

And I have no idea how to adjust the neck along longitudinal direction for better pickguard alignment.

One more thing: Not that I think this matters but not all the screws holes on the body are co-centric with the holes on the pickguard (see the photo), yet the pickguard holes still cover all the corresponding holes on the body.

Attached Files:

BlueTalon and PennyroyalWe like this.
  8. ugie

ugie

Dec 18, 2021
    Netherlands
    I think they are straight enough.

9. ugie

ugie

Dec 18, 2021
    Netherlands
    Duly noted :)

Goatrope likes this.
  10. The pickup has a strange angle too.
    8A6033C7-BDAD-404A-8AB7-0E011654C1AE.JPG

gg22 likes this.
  11. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    So I take any bass I buy to a professional luthier for initial setup. That's also a good way to have someone identify any flaws or defects. The guys and gals on the assembly line are not pro luthiers.

smogg likes this.
  12. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    It’s warped. This is common on older instruments but should not be like this on a new one. I would try one more go. As Fernando said. But this time take it all the way off. Set it flat and massage it out. This stuff will get more flexible if you warm it up. It bends and stretches so warm it up by rubbing your palm into it. Then reinstall. Screw those 2 in first by the bent area. If you cannot get those 2 to sit flat first as you push and flex then it’s drilled or cut wrong. But you should be able to push and tweak into place. Working it around 1 screw at a time.

BlueTalon, B-Mac and Black Out Jazz like this.
  13. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    Maybe a little hair dryer applied sparingly...

-Asdfgh-, gg22 and Aqualung60 like this.
  14. ugie

ugie

Dec 18, 2021
    Netherlands
    I am not very knowledgable on bass stuff but I thought the split pick-ups are designed to be tilted.

One Way, LBS-bass and JeezyMcNuggles like this.
  15. Yes, but not in that direction. Compare the strings and the red line in my picture, they should be parallel.
    I would loose all screws (also the pickup screws), bent the pickguard straight and screw in all screws without tension.

16. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    I wonder if the bridge side of that pickup is binding up on the guard.

-Asdfgh-, TyBo, TrustRod and 4 others like this.
  17. truand85

truand85 Zig Zag Wanderer Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Likely just a wire that's outside the cavity. You can fix that without even detuning.

Remove all screws on the pickguard, then slide it up and over the pickup and out from under the strings. Should give you a clearer picture.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    Bolsyo, B-Mac, Ricky Rioli and 2 others like this.
  18. ugie

ugie

Dec 18, 2021
    Netherlands
    Ah I see.

Checking out this video on setting up pickup height (along the direction from knobs to fingers), the pickup in that video was also tilted along the other direction (from bridge to neck but opposite to mine). Maybe they can be a bit tilted in that direction as well.

Nevertheless, that tilt in my pickup that you pointed out seems too much to me now as well.

I am a noob so I better take this bass to a professional as "Black out Jazz" suggested.

19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    You probably have a wire poking out. Something under it, is the only reason anything that is screwed to a surface, wouldn't be touching the surface.

-Asdfgh- and fhm555 like this.
  20. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    He means the divet in the case.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022