Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickguard on a Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, May 14, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I saw a very sleek looking Lakland Skyline 44-02 on the Dude Pit ads, with a white pearl pickguard. It read that it was factory installed. I checked Lakland's website and it says nothing about an optional pickguard. Does this have to be custom ordered or something?

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    If you call Dan at Lakland, I think he can install one for you. Seems like someone around here had one installed.

Give him a ring, he's super nice and will help you out.

3. Here is a 55-01 for sale at www.lowdownsound.com with what I am assuming is a factory installed pickguard. It is listed in their "new this week" section. From the price, i'd assume it is new, but the URL for the pictures says used in the address.

[​IMG]

4. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    I've had a pickguard made for my 55-01. I ordered it through John at Lakland. It was actually made by Jeannie Pickguards. It is a perfect fit. I think it cost around $40. Took about two weeks, as I recall.

5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I ordered a black pickguard for my blonde 55-94 from Lakland for $35 + appx. $2 for shipping. They also told me 2 weeks.

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The pickguards are standard on the Classic n-94's.

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Is the 55-01 pickguard meant to fit USA models, Skylines, or both?

8. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I would assume that they are only for the Skyline 55-01's. Just because of the pickup routing. (Soapbars for the 55-01, and J's for the 55-02's and 55-94's.)

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm prolly smoking crack. Lakland doesn't make a 55-01 USA model do they? Sorry not to Lakland Savvy. Just played a couple at a local store and now they're growing on me.

~Patrick

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    On normal Laklands (i.e. not custom ordered), the pickguards come only on Lakland USA CLASSIC 4-94s and 55-94s. Of course they come on other signature models like the Joe Osborn, Darryl whatshisname, etc. You can order tons of stuff on Laklands that don't come standard, like Seymour Duncan or Lindy Fralin pickups, J or U Retro preamps, Myrtle Burl Quilts, AAAAA Flamed or Quilted Maple Quilts, a 4-94 or 44-94 without a J pickup, or with two J pickups. Prince had a giant fist placed atop his 4-94!

11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Ok, lets say if perchance, I were to purchase a natural/rosewood Skyline 55-01, and lets say I wanted to put a white pearl pickguard on it. Could I order one, from either Jeanie's pickguards, or directly from Lakland, or a Lakland dealer?

12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Directly from a Lakland dealer. Probably either "the Dude" or www.basscentral.com. Or maybe www.basspalace.com, I'm not sure about the last one though.

13. Don't forget a matching headstock. These are "off the sheet" options that don't appear on the price list, but are available when ordered.

14. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Are all these non-standard options only available on USA Laklands, or are some available on Skylines too?

15. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I had a pickguard installed at the Lakland factory for the Skyline 4402 I had a while ago. Looked real nice (though the bass ended up not being the tone for me).

16. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I believe they are all available on Skyline models.

Edit: no sorry. The special finishes are not available on Skyline models.

17. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    If you order one from Lakland, do it well in advance. I ordered one over a month ago for my 55-94 Classic and I'm still waiting.

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    They're not standard any longer. At one time they were included in the case with the Classic and Standard -94's, and were easy enough for the owner to install or not at their discretion.