Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickguard question, pictures, help please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mesa Man, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Ok, so finally I went for the MIA jazz, brand spanking new... even got to rip the cardboard box open in the store (not worth anything extra though..).

3t-sunburst and rosewood fingerboard, yes sure just fine if not.. that UGLY white pickguard! :rollno:

So my question to all you TB'ers is what shall I put on instead?
    White pearloid? Turtle? Red turtle? Vintage pearl (warmoth)? Blue pearl? Something completely different?

Unfortunately the option "no pickguard" is not available due to the stupid routing thing. :bawl:

I can't make up my mind.. and I can't find any pictures of a 3t sunburst with any, except the turtle op which I already got on my Noel Redding sig jazz, but I rock it Jaco-style.

Please help me out, opinions or pictures showing different alternatives would be greatly appreciated. :help:

And merry christmas to y'all! :hyper:

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Tortoise Shell. End of thread. :)

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Any of these would looks good:

Parchment
    Vintage Pearl
    Tort
    Mint

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

+1

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

5. +1 on that one Nino.

Sunburst + tortoise = the perfect match.

6. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis

+1

7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida

+2

8. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I also vote for the tort guard...but it has to be the right shade. I had a sunburst '76 P-bass and I put one of the Fender '62 Reissue tort guards on...it just never looked right. I took that off and tried a white pearloid, and that worked for me...but I still vote for the right shade of tort. Here's what the pearloid looked like....

9. Yes, a picture of a 3Tsb w/pearloid pg.. but where is it? :confused: :)

10. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Sorry, you caught me between edits....

11. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Why is that? I never got it. I know that's the classic/vintage look but I never liked it. I know it's all a matter of taste but I think the lack of contrast makes it look blotchy. I like a lighter guard (mint, pearl, white), especially on burst and solid finishes. ...now tortoise on a white bass, that's a different story. If you're not gonna go for contrast why even bother having the pick guard? ...all MHO of course.

12. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I pretty much agree with this. I still like tort on sunburst and black and stuff, but if I have a choice, I'd rather dark colours have lighter pickguards.

13. Yes that pearloid sure is nice, not as "Flat white" as the stock pg... but turtle is nice too but in another way. It depends very much on a: the shade of the burst and b: the shade of the turtleshell.. Hmm this didnt make it much easier, any more opinions on the subject?

14. 2 words...

ANNODISED GOLD

Link to somthing very similar (very nice - actually SLIGHTLY shiny metal...they have got a VERY shiny one if you search the site)

15. - 1 Put something different on there! I have red tart too...and IM SELFISH! :spit:

:D

ps.: Im having the same problem with my new Cherry Burst Stingray...Ugly-ass-white-pickguard-syndrome

16. err...Yellow or Green pearl...?

17. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    Agreed.

18. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Yup!

19. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    +1 billion. Sunburst + anodised guard = awesome

20. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Nino was right. And annodized aluminum guards look great on a nice 3 tone burst, but I think more for a P than a Jazz.