Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickguard replacement -- with a twist ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Mar 22, 2005.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

This may be a stupid question but if it is, I'm sure someone will tell me soon enough!

I have a Fender J-Bass that is black with the stock white Pickguard and Chrome "tail plate" (under the knobs.) I am investigating getting a new pickguard to spruce up the look of the intrument and that leads me to my question:

I realize that when you replace the pickguard, you usually only replace the pickguard itself (the part that is white on my bass.) I am curious if it is possible to replace both the white piece AND the chrome piece with one replacement part. (Sorta like what happens when you replace a P-Bass pickguard.)

I realize that this would have to be a custom piece and I get that. I am just curious if the chrome part is removeable/replaceable and whether or not this would have adverse affects on the instrument.

I look forward to your replies!

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As posted above, this idea is used on the Fender Mark Hoppus bass. The one-piece pickguard/contol plate was also used on the Fender "Ventures" Jazz Bass.

So, your idea can, and has been done :) ...

4. If you want a pickguard replacement with a REAL twist, check out - http://www.sharp-concepts.com

Awesome metal pickguards and I know for a fact they do the all-in-one you are looking for.

....and no I don't work for them

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, it can be done. I think MIM Jazzes had them for a year around 96? Just find someone to make you a custom guard, and they can do it I'm sure.

6. I think you're right.

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I think one of Al Caldwells Low End Jazzes has this. White pearloid guard and white pearloid control plate. Looks sexy.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    FWIW, my 97 MIM Jazz has the kind of pickguard that you are referring to [control plate and pickguard is one piece]. I'd try www.pickguards.com to see if they have anything.

9. Yup, go here and scroll about halfway down. Didnt see what the color options were though.