Picking (like with a pick)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sir_gabealot, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Sir_gabealot

Jun 1, 2005
    Im really bad at picking, and i cant seem to find sumthing to rest my hand on and keep it comfortable so i can pick on. any tips for a new member???dark red rocks my socks with a box of locks in rocks sorry just curios if the color thing worked^^^^
  2. My advice is to learn to pick without resting your hand. I don't really need to rest my hand on anything. If you must use something, though, the bridge is usually a good spot.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Picking will get better with practice. I used to really suck at using a pick, but have improved a lot over the past year.

I rest my arm on the lower bout of the bass, and get most of my motion from my wrist. I pick pretty close to the bridge.
  4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Try imitating Les Paul players. Rest (or have it close) your palm on the strings towards the bridge.
  5. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I used to be a fulltime pick player (Dur!!!). Now i suck at using one. I used to play almost right on the bridge. I did find though that my hand would move around a bit from bass to bass. Strap the thing on and see where it feels most comfortable. Shouldnt need to rest it on anything. Play from the wrist.
  6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    How exactly would you pick without a pick?
  7. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I rest the half of my forearm nearest the elbow on the top of the body of the bass, extend the thumb and forefinger that hold the pick over the strings near the pickup(s), keep my wrist in a relaxed position, and rotate my forearm to pluck.
  8. Sir_gabealot

Jun 1, 2005
    coool. thanks alot guys that helped