Pickup and EQ recomendations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tash, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm tossing around the idea of doing a Warmoth build in the next few months. I'm thinking of doing only a single pickup since I litterally never change off my neck PU now. I'm leaning towards a DC35 but would like to hear other suggestions to read up on.

Secondly I'd like some kind of EQ. I have a 3 band EMG active eq on my current bass, and it is nice but has a little bit of hiss. I'd like something that has good tone control and no noise. What's the higher end EMG EQ gear like? What else should I look into?

Comments and suggestions please.

Oh yeah, since I'm only using a single pickup I don't need a blend control. How hard is this to omit from an EQ install?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

pups are personal preference thing and I haven't had any of the active EMG soaps to know how they vary from the J's and P - which I've had plenty of.

As far as the pre, in my experience any of the typical after-market pre's will have noise with treble boosted with pups that have decent treble output. With the EMGs you have the treble knee frequency dips you can adjust and the others don't offer that. So I'm guessing, if you can't get what you want treble wise out of the EMG, it's not going to happen with the others. I found the EMG, Bart, and Aggies pre's to be on a parallel plain in terms of quality and tone. I can't say I'm familiar with the "higher end EMG EQ gear," never heard of it.

BTC and BQC I've had. The BQC can be used with any pups so doesn't have the blend that comes with the BQS and to my knowledge is nothing but a BQS without that blend. There's no problem eliminating a blend. I ran the BQC as an outboard so I could use it with any bass. As such, a blend serves no function there either.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Higher end I meant the BQC and BQS, which are supposedly higher grade that the B30 and B64 series EQs.

I'm thinking a DC35 and the BQC will be my best bet. I have HZs in my burrent bass and had and active P and J in an older one, I like the results I've gotten from EMGs. I've also played a few basses with the DC series pickups and was impressed by the meatiness of the tone.

Thanks for the response.
  4. EMG offers some great pickups and EQ systems. Very tempting really. Makes me wanna get that stacked bass/treble knob and ditch the tone knob.
  5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I had the 40DCs and a BQC in a Modulus and it was awesome, highly recommended.

But I did want to ask what pickup you like now? Because the DC changed the tone (had the P before). The split single coil tone was replaced with a tone ALMOST like 2 pickups at once. Single coil seemed snappier, the DC added a rounder, smoothness. You have an HZ, but I don't know if those are dual or single coil. If they are dual, you'll love that. If it's a P, you may want to stay with a 35P and try the 35DC later (or the other way, they are modular).

Just wire up the PU to the Vol, then into a BQC (or S if you want more holes) and you are set to jet.