1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup on the Kala UBass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by qwerty155, Nov 4, 2018.

1. qwerty155

qwerty155

Nov 4, 2018
    Apologies for the numpty question...
    I have a Rumbler FS Ubass, bought 4-5 years ago and I have a question about the installed pickup, a shadow with built-in tuner & EQ. Is it likely to be a passive or active pickup? The fact that it's powered means I thought it was active, but it's that just for the tuner? However, I think it's a piezoelectric pickup, so passive, right?
    I'm asking in order to understand whether I should be using a pre-amp or not. So an answer to that and choice of DI box would be a bonus!
    Many thanks for your help.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The output of the piezo pickups is so low that it requires a internal preamp.

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Usually.

The only exception I’ve seen is Dave Wendler’s ElectroCoustic system. All passive piezo/magnetic system that sounds great.

Doubtful they use something like that tho, AFAIK Dave has a patent on that system.

4. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

It's an active pickup, you don't need an extra preamp.

qwerty155 likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Piezos also require preamps because they sound terrible without them. Most amps are designed to receive a signal in the tens of thousands of ohms, which is what magnetic pickups put out. Piezo pickups send a signal in the millions of ohms. The preamp fixes the mismatch.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021