1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup Oscillation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chux, Jul 20, 2007.

1. chux

chux

Jul 20, 2007
    Dublin,Ireland
    Hope someone can help with this...I have a 5 string Sadowsky Jazz bass fitted with Sadowsky pickups.When played through my rig,the open E,A,D & G strings are of equal volume...however,when the open B string is played the volume seems to fade in & out/fluctuate up & down.I have tried lowering and raising the pickups but can't seem to get rid of this problem.Any ideas?

2. Hillside_Loafer

Hillside_Loafer

Jul 21, 2007
    Have you checked so that there isn't any problem with the soldering on the pot's? If it like you say fluctuates, it could be some connection problem.

If not, then i'm afraid i don't know what it might be.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    What kind of string?

Have you replaced it?

The DR Tapers are kinda notorious for that.

4. is it active?

5. Almost sounds like the alignment of the pickup and the neck could be off. Because the vibration travel of the B string is so much larger than the travel of the other strings it would be easier to hear it traveling away from the pole pieces. You might want to have a repair pro check your setup.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Wrong forum, off to pickups.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

if lowering the pups didn't help then it's my guess it's not a pup issue. I'm guessing this started in strings.

Don't play 5's but an open B is going to wreak havoc with a lot of things - cabs, speakers, the surrounding walls.

I would check it outside where the wave isn't impeded for starters if that hasn't been done.