Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup Output Test

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blipndub, Nov 6, 2004.

1. So I just put a set of Bartolini CBs in my jazz and I have a question about output. Compared to my Model Js they have about less than half the output (to be expected) but compared to stock MIM pups they are also very low output. Does anyone know if this is just the way they are? I really like the way they sound but I can't tell if they are supposed to have such a low output or if something is wrong. I did a test and recorded some wav files, take a look and tell me what you think.
    From left to right:
    MIM Fender Stock (2002? raised poles)
    Model Js
    Bartolini CB
    [​IMG]

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, I don't know why but my barts don't have that much of an output either... Not that they don't sound good :D.

3. I guess my only concern is if i'm switching back and forth between basses on a gig, but i suppose if i like the barts enough i should just make adjustments with a preamp or something. I have a Micro-amp that works pretty good for that.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, that's just the way they are. They have a lower output level than other passive pickups.

5. Hey David,

Thanks for the fast shipping BTW you should have your pups on mon.

I'm glad to know that's the way they are I can work with that. I just got worried that I had something else going on in my wiring etc.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Mine aren't passive, :eyebrow:. Whatever :bassist:.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I was talking about blipndub's CB's

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I see, :bassist:.

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Output of Barts in general in my experience is about average or lower. Some are very low and seems the older models are more inclined to be that way than current models. On the flip side you can raise them just out of reach of the strings without distortion - which is not the case with some high output passive pups.

10. This is true and very cool!