1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup sensitive to touch while playing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassman8416, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Hey there,
    Recently I had a tech install a set of DiMarzio DP123's, I noticed whenever I make contact with the pick up, when I use a pick, the click sound of the contact being made is louder than usual. Now the system is still passive but he did shield the bottom of the pickups and ran grounds from each pickup to the bridge ground. Is there any reason this is happening or should I just lower the pickup to avoid making contact....other than this problem everything sounds great.

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The bridge is not ground. Do you mean he ran it to the ground the bridge is connected to?

What you are describing are the pickups being microphonic. It has nothing to do with shielding or grounding.

Are the pickups lose when you press on them, or are they mounted solidly?

3. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Hey David, they are mounted solidly. Microphonic....it wasn't doing that when the pickups were run through an Audere pre, but now in passive they are microphonic. How I wish I lived in New Jersey, I would just show you.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    All that was done was the preamp was removed? Weird.

I'm only 30 minutes from Midtown Manhattan.

5. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    A preamp was installed, pickups exchanged, then preamp removed.

6. If you're using a compressor, the "attack" might be set too fast or the "threshold" is set too low.