1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shawshank72, Sep 26, 2010.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Question........
    Does twisting the pickup wires together by hand cause any change in output or sound than soldering them together?

2. If you have sufficient contact, no, but the problem is maintaining that contact.

Over time, the connection will start to cut out as the wires corrode and/or vibrate loose.

3. Reed James Eng

Reed James Eng Commercial User

Sep 25, 2010
    Manteca CA.
    Reed James Custom Pickups
    No but twisting and soldering its important. also make sure to clean the insulation off with a razor before twisting and soldering. That’s what I do a clean connection is the key

4. CVsawyer

CVsawyer

Sep 22, 2010
    +1

5. Hi.

For uses other than a simple test, I like the connection to be more solid than just twisted together.

Just like the other posters have said, the connection won't stay very good very long.

If You don't want to solder the connections for some reason, at least use some screw-on or crimped connectors to secure the connection. There's plenty of options out there in the hardware stores el. department, better ones at RS.

On the tools section there's also cheap pencil type soldering irons and rosin core solder, do take a look at those as well while You're there ;).

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021