pickups sounding "bland"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Speedy Claxton, Feb 17, 2009.

1. I have a pj bass and I feel the pickups sound a little too tame for my taste. I would like to add that I can also run the bass active but I like the simplicity, and in most cases, the tone of a passive bass. Is there a way I could "liven" up the sound of my pickups without buying a new set? I was thinking new pots could do the trick.. not too sure though.

2. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    What amp are you playing through? Most pickups will sound bland through an amp with a very low wattage.

3. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    new/different strings?

4. I play through a gallien krueger backline 600 and I just recently changed the strings. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the way it sounds, I've heard tons of basses that sound worse, it's just doesn't appeal to me all that much and I was wondering if new pots or any other simple procedures could remedy my, for lack of a better term, problem.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Basslines Quarter Pounder pickups are a sure cure for the blands.

Changing pots or capacitors won't do much for any real change. Maybe a switch to connect the P and J in series, although it might also sound like crap.

6. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    sounds like you need new pups - check the bay for any used ones. Someone might have pulled higher-end stock pups out of their bass that you could pick up for cheap

7. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    EMG Selects. They're cheap and sound FAT.

8. woffle

woffle

Mar 26, 2008
    A few years back got an almost new squire jazz from Ebay,looked & played great but the
    amp,sound was not the hit.So after a while got me a set of SD stk-j2 stacked,that was
    now a lot better but somehow still not, hmm,wow or you know what I mean.
    So I invested in a Noll active tone circut,comes complete wired with 3 stacked pots,
    just have to conect the pu's.Now the damm things almost to hot to handle,its all in there. Also in the 80's had a guitar builder fit me the active PJ set from EMG in a standard preci
    which has over the years become my work horse,this one can do it all with still some
    left, for those moments when seldome needed.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if the pots are 250k, switching to 500ks will indeed wake it up a bit. you'll want linear ("B") volumes and an audio ("A") tone.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021