Pickups upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AFWbass, Jul 16, 2005.

1. AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    I have a 2002 MIM deluxe active jass bass. I want to replace the pickups in it with custom shop 60's jazz pickups. Am I going to have to buy a wiring kit? Or can I just hook the new pickups to the stock preamp? I have no clue how I should wire it so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Unless I have completely missed someting, this should be a simple swap out that does not require any kind of wiring kit.

3. Wiring should be no problem, however, make sure your MIM has the 1/8" smaller neck pickup as compared to the bridge.
    Some earlier MIM's are said to have both pickups identical in size.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    True, but the change was made in either 2000 or 2001 to the standard pickup set, as far as I know.

5. I heard 2002 (Guitar Center thought)
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    To be truthful, I've heard a range of years, and 2000 to 2001 seems to be the most common response. I would suggest e-mailing Fender to find out, but that wouldn't get answered probably until 2008. :D Maybe the dudes at the Fender forum know.
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, please measure the length of your existing pickups.
    If they're standard routes, it's 3.73" @ bridge, 3.62" at neck.
    If they're both the same size, your options are restricted somewhat unless you want to get some extra routing done.
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You can also just file down the sides of the pickup cavity - that's what I did on my MIM J.
  9. AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    Yeah, they were the right size and everything. I just cut the wires and patched the new pickups into the existing wiring. I took those little brass plates and ran them to the existing ground screws. I put everything back in the bass and plugged it in. Sounds f'in ballsy. However, with the pickup blend in the middle, I get a good sound...but when I put the blend to bridge I get almost no sound at all. When it's at the neck I get a super bassy p-bass like tone. Sounds better than stock by far...but it'd like to have my bridge setting working right. Any suggestions?
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    All MIM Deluxe basses has USA pickups with the standard J routes in the body.

You should be able to swap the pickups with no additional parts.