1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickups VS Mics

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by spikesstickies, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Hi guys, I'm a new URB player and just got my bass not too long ago. And I'm currently just using a shure SM 57 mic when I'm playing with my band, but I've been thinking of switching to a K+K bass max pickup.

Whats the main difference btw PUs and mics that I'll need to consider? And any recommendations for either PUs or mics. I play primarily pizz but occasionally some arco when I'm practicing come classical stuff.

Thanks guys.

2. Fishman Full Circle.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Check out the newbie link for pickups. More than likely whatever ones you are considering have been talked about....a lot.

My bias is towards a Realist. I've heard guys that have the Full Circle & that thing is also amazing.

For reference-i used to have a K&K Bass Master Pro pickup set. It was a BassMax + a Double Big Twin. I like the Realist MUCH better. The tone is more natural. The BassMax wasn't bad, and it served me well, but once i switched to Realist i was amazed. The other hip thing bout the realist for me is that with most of the amps i use-i can just leave the EQ flat.

As far as mics go-the AMT i think it's the B25 or something is popular/good. If you go to Gollihurmusic.com [owned/operated by {All Hail} Bob G-a member here], he has these for sale.

How much are you looking to spend?

4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mics generally give a more natural sound in the PA than pickups. The downside is they also get spill from the band and may feedback. However if the mic is working OK, stick with it - the SM57 is a good all-rounder.
    Another option is to use a mic for the PA sound and pickup for stage monitoring.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021