Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pieces for University Auditions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Feb 26, 2005.

1. I'm currently studying my last year of high school :)eek: ), and for my music course I have to compile a selection of pieces that go for 10-12 minutes for Solo Performance.

I'm studying "Wave" by Jobim at the moment as a solo piece, and I was thinking about playing a piece I found out of a book or "Dune Tune", which I learnt ages ago.

What I need to pass this section of my course, and collect suitable pieces for Uni, is a range of pieces, from jazz, to rock, funk, etc. I was wondering if you lot could suggest pieces I could do for that. My teacher has tons, yes, but I was interested in seeing what you guys would suggest.

I'm leaning away from slap stuff at the moment because I'm not good at it, and I don't want to risk doing something I have to kill myself over. I'm really into jazz stuff (in terms of my learning), but I want a variety of stuff.

Anyway... post away. :D

2. Well, I'm playing teentown at my exam this spring. I plan to do it the Manring way - with looper.
    I'm also doing portrait of tracy.
    I'm going to play autumn leaves. At first I'll play the melody with chords, then I'm just going to walk with a band, and solo.
    I'll also play Chameleon and perhaps some Jamiroquai.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    One of my favorite solo bass/duo bass peices is Naima (originally done by Coltrane on "Giant Steps"). Jaco does his own rendition on his video and Bill Laswell breaks into it on a Material album. It could show your skills for chording, soloing and phrasing quite a bit. It kills on fretless.

4. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    First of all, Steph - good luck! I bailed out of music (studying electric bass) in year 11 as I thought it would be too hard to get enough marks in year 12 for my uni course. However, I did see what would be required for the performance part of the exam, so have some idea of what you would be looking at. Although this was 15+ years ago, maybe it's still about the same. ;)

I know you said probably no slap, but 'Silly Putty' is not too difficult (except for some parts of the solo, which through which you can play your own lines anyway), and in fact the intro and main groove is pretty straightforward (technically), but incredibly groovy and cool. Unless you are a total beginner at slap playing (which I doubt you are, as you plan to go on to uni?), I think this would make a good choice, and you can do some call-and-answer solo parts by alternating the main groove with solo licks.

BTW, I know you say 'solo', but you get to have some band backing, right? Can you bring along (say) a drummer and guitarist?

Regarding the pieces suggested previously, if you can pull them off that would be great, but I doubt such mastery would be necessary to get through the exam well. Autumn Leaves is *definitely* a good choice, though, as there is a lot you can do with by way of chords, bassline and some solo stuff, not to mention it's one of the 'main' standards.

Maybe if you let us know some more details about the exam requirements (and whether you can have a drummer or not), then we can make some more suggestions.

Mike

5. Mike;

Thanks for your post - I'm pretty sure the course will be similar. You can look at it in more detail at SSABSA if you want.

I'm pretty sure I can have backing for stuff; I'd get my teacher to play keys if I need them, and I can get my former class teacher to drum for me (man, I'd get in just by bringing Pat with me :D). So, yeah, I can have backing.

I'm really no good on slapping at all - when I started learning it I was playing "Aeroplane" by RHCP, and I murdered it. Hacked to bits until it was no longer a song, but more of a fIeLdY ... whatever it is that he does. So I'm not a complete beginner, but I'm no way confident that I could pull off a slap piece. It would mean learning a pretty complicated technique, which means taking up time I don't have (I have to work for four other subjects, too).

Hope this helps a bit more. I should have clarified before. :smug:

6. I don't think the slapping is that important.
    At least it shouldn't be, imho. Slapping is SUCH a small part of playing the bass guitar. Man, it's like saying a guitarist would have to tap on his exam. If you are expected to slap, however, I guess it would be smart to put some in there.

If you can have a band, I would advice you to do something groovy too. After all, groove is the most important duty of a bass player. Time and groove. Sure - play those fast licks and clever improvisations. But also show em you can groove....
    Henche, I would advice Jamiroquai, Chameleon (herbie) or perhaps Jacos the chicken.

7. No band - it's Solo Performance. I can have back-up, but not an ensemble as such.

Slapping isn't important to the exam - while it would show a bit of variety in styles, I'm not confident in it.

8. Donna Lee! If you can pull it off, it's such a wonderful selection.

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I played dry cleaner from des moines and number of the beast!! :D

I passed

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Do a Blink 182 song!

11. ROFL!

Yeah right! :p

Unless I jazz it up somehow, that'd be cool... (I'm going for the jazz courses)

12. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I second this.

Or...

You could try Amazing Grace, Victor Wooten Stylee.

13. Hey steph did you learn teen town I think you mentioned it last year if my memory is correct
    Anyway do that if you have been workin on it or if not ask khay0s to help you out I'm sure he won't lose sleep over that one :D