1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pigtronix EP-2 vs. EP-1 ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chicago_mike, Oct 7, 2010.

1. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I only got to try out the EP-1 at the '04 namm show. Long time ago. I just bought a couple days ago the EP-2 and love this thing.

Wondering if theres a difference in the phaser tonality or the envelope section to constitute buying the old one as well?

Anybody own both and have a favourite among them?

2. putsia

putsia

Mar 18, 2009
  3. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Great link! Thank you. The EP-2 is more vocal sounding and has a better tonality for bass as I can tell, seems a little thicker sounding.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the ep 2 is one better, innit?

5. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    I had an EP-1 a whiiiile ago, and then recently had an EP-2. I for some reason liked the EP-1. I wish there was a way to combine the whoooop and the swurlz like on the EP-2, on the EP-1.

Well, I think a mod was available.

ANYWAY. They're near identical tonally. The features of the EP-2 (and the size factor!!) make it the clear choice.

6. you really think they're nearly identical tonally? they're completely different circuits.

the EP-2's and frequency range control make it the clear choice for bass IMO.

7. Haven't tried EP2 yet. Hated the shape of EP1, but haven't been able to convince myself to get rid of it either.

I haven't found another envelope filter with as much "quack". They are cool as hell.

Piggie is doing some cool stuff IMO. I finally found a good deal on an Echolution and it's badass.

8. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Like I said, I had a pretty big margin of time error. I dug the quirkier sound of the EP-1

9. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    JimmyM for the best answer ever!

10. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Totally different.

EP-1 is more subtle
    EP-2 has almost all of the original mods for functionality except the character (LFO shape) control.

EP-1 looks cooler
    EP-2 is DC powered (easier to manage from a power perspective)

I love my EP-1.

11. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Everytime I plug into my EP-2 I love it. Tomorrow I test her out with my other pedals.

12. arbitrary

arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The marv mod (combines the filter and phase) on my Ep-1 is utterly amazing! Probably the reason why I can't get rid of it.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I own a EP-1 and a EP-2. They are basically two different pedals. They are related but they sound different.

The EP-1 has a more throatier sound than the EP-2. The EP-1 is not as versatile. And finding that just right sweet spot(at least for me) can be elusive to a degree.

The swurl of the EP-2 is definitely more pronounced and it doesn't get overbearing

The EP-2 is more versatile, you can get a wetter sound and a creamier sound, the EP-2 seems to sit in the mix better(at least for me). And I overall prefer the EP-2.

I'm a Pigtronix endorser.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021