1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pinky as root

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cronker, Apr 19, 2011.

1. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Hey lads

I was recently studying the work of Rutger Gunnarrson (bassist from ABBA) because I like his work.
    I noticed however, that he tends to use his pinky on the root note, and then his fills and runs flow from his other fretting fingers.

This is new to me since I use mainly my index and secondary to anchor.

Can you explain or advise?

thanks
    xx cronks

2. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I typically use my middle finger as root when major and index when minor. I like the pinky because it breaks a rut. Perhaps he found he was more colorful when he used the pinky as the root.

3. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Kraigo - me exactly - it was how I was taught. Middle for major and index for minor. I have always played that way.
    I have been working on other things, so haven't tried Pinky for Root, but I think it would be awkward...???

4. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    I always use pinky for 5ths

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021