Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by paniak17, Mar 23, 2004.

1. ok granted this has nothing to do with basses in general, i need your help with something. when im playing a note with my ring finger(third finger from thumb, between pinky and the middle fingers) my pinky always gos downand curls up, thus making it very hard to play a note with my pinky and ring finger. is it because i barely use my pinky and it needs to become stronger? is it a habbit? plz post any comments.
  2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    my pinky does that little bit. i heard about this while checking out orin isaak, one of his lesson things was not to do that, he said either cromatically go up one string or do scales or warm ups that use all fingers. it is a habit and it does slow your playing down. ive been trying to toughin up my pink doing crazy fast scale stuff.
  3. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    First of all this should be in G.I.

Secondly, yes this is a bad habit. What I did to stop myself from doing this is I would grip my bass's neck fretting a note with my third finger and then I reached over and held my pinky in proper place with my right hand. after thirty seconds or so I'd stop. It only took like five repititions to get rid of the habit.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mine does the opposite. It stands straight up, sticking out away from the fingerboard.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Then why did you put it here? ;) Moved to GI.
  6. hmmmmm ic that helps a little, any more ideas?
  7. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, you may not be able to help it. My pinkys are very rigid and it is almost *impossible* for me to keep my pinky curled on my left hand.

From what I know, however, you want your pinky to curl up. Watch closely next time you see your favorite bassist play. Most bassists with propper technique curl their pinky.
  8. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Stop slidding as much and get that pinky involved in your playing. The chromatic excercise is a great idea as well which has been already suggested.
  9. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    When I started the bass I used the 3rd finger extensively. I had Carpel tunnel before the bass. Did not take long to find I should use the pinky and leave the 3rd off the string. I do use it once in awhile on a half step down.
    Best way I know is play a G with the middle or index finger fret the A with the pinky and go from there. Not a streach but a very healthy move.

10. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    ive had this problem, sence i started playing. i tryed that "fret with 3rd and hold the 4th out with right hand thing" i littery couldnt. the pinky just wouldnt play along, it pulled my right hand it forced so much.

so im lost to what to do. but i have to say if i run really slow scales so my pinky has time to move but still be in time, it will play nice for alittle while but nothing long term.

ok that didnt make sence at first but i got it now, been doing that. i guess i keep at it. i thing it getting better
  11. speck

Jul 15, 2002
    Sacramento CA, USA
    About a month ago I posted an exercise (second reply) that I run through every day to make sure all the fingers on my fretting hand stay in shape.

The only thing I would add is to make sure you keep your index and middle fingers on the fretboard when doing the ring and pinky (4545) part. Stopping the middle finger from "mimicking" the ring finger (the middle finger lifting off the fretboard when the ring lifts) will be tough at first, but should get easier after a week or so.

12. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    if im seeing this right in my head it doesnt seem to mean people would have trouble keeping their middile finger on the fret board while they do the (4545) cuase the mid. and ring fingers dont share a tendon (yes i know most of us know this, its for those who dont) like the ring and picky fingers do.

but everyones got their own battles to fight with dextarate