1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PJ wiring opinions [HUGE poll, help me narrow it down]

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by billybassist, Sep 28, 2010.

1. P/J with V-V-T

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. P/J with V-V-T and a selector switch

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. P/J with stacted V/T for each pickup and a switch

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. P/J with stacked V/T for each, a switch, and a master volume

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. P/J with a active bass cut/boost, treble cut/boost, blend, and master volume

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. t/boostP/J with a V-V- stacked active bass cu and treble cut/boost - master volume

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. P/J with a blend - stacked active bass cu and treble cut/boost - master volume

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. J/P/J with a stacked V/T and a on/off switch for each pickup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. J/P/J with a stacked V/T and a on/off switch for each pickup and a master volume

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Humbucker/P/J with a stacked V/T and a on/off switch for each pickup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Humbucker/P/J with a stacked V/T and a on/off switch for each pickup and a master volume

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. MM/P/J with a stacked V/T and a on/off switch for each pickup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. MM/P/J with a stacked V/T and a on/off switch for each pickup and a master volume

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  14. Other [please enlighten me!]

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  15. fool, just slap in a barolini to your passive mexican fender P and learn to play!

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. billybassist

billybassist

Sep 11, 2010
    Hey everyone, I've been doing some thinking on my bass wiring, I'm planning on a PJ, with maybe an extra J up in the telebass position [right up next to the fretboard] and I have a lot of ideas.

You can select multiple options, please vote in the poll and give some reasons why you gave that vote.

2. I say no on ridiculous setups, unless you have the preference for the bass to function a certain way, because otherwise it will just be too complicated and difficult to use.

The standard VVT setup is great for most folks.

My PJ bass is VVT B/T with a 3 way switch.
    When I get a PJ set with pickups that match better in volume, I'll probably switch to VT B/T with a 3 way switch.

Also, having passive tones on each pickup is not all that useful.
    They interact and become masters when the volume controls are equal.

3. billybassist

billybassist

Sep 11, 2010
    Silly question, what does the B stand for? I'm having a hard time following your setups

4. Bass.

(Bass/Treble.)

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Are you looking at purely passive setups?

MM/P Pickups and a 3-way selector for the MM pickup's coils. Two volumes, master tone.

6. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I voted "other" in order to mention series/parallel switching.

My Dingwall has a 4-way switch that goes: neck/series/parallel/bridge. Very fun AND useful. (I'm seriously thinking of wiring up my J-bass this way eventually.) Series mode punches through just about anything while parallel mode is more "juicy" (good for slapping).

I find I basically never use subtle blends of pickups so any 2-pickup axes I wire up in the future will always use a switch. YMMV.

7. billybassist

billybassist

Sep 11, 2010
    Hmm, this interests me.

How about a MM/P/J with a stacked volume and tone for each, and instead of an on-off switch a 3 position: /series/parallel/off.

Could this be done? any idea how?

8. Three tone controls is not a good idea, they will all interact.

If you want to do three volumes and a master tone with a series/single coil/parallel switch on the MM, that might be cool, but of course, you get no master volume.

9. billybassist

billybassist

Sep 11, 2010
    Okay, how about a MM/P/J with all 3 having a volume and a 3-way switch for series/parallel/off leading to a stacked master tone and volume?

My main question is how the switch would work, I'm imagining a 3-way toggle where the top is series, the bottom is parallel, and the middle is off [on-off-on switch being used] Can that even be done? Can it be done with 3 pickups? Or do I need to rotary switch/only 2 pickups?

10. So the series/parallel/off switch is for what? The MM pickup, or all three pickups to go series and parallel to each other?

It wouldn't be a good idea to have three pickups in series, I would imagine it would sound terrible and be ridiculously hot.

11. recnsci

recnsci

Apr 8, 2010
    Passive? If passive, how (if info is in public domain)?

edit: if you're that guy with 172 wiring diagrams on flickr, I've found something that fits description.

12. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    For me personally, I would do a passive P/J with a hum cancelling J pickup, V-V-T controls, and a series/parallel switch.

13. Bass and treble controls would be active.

14. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Your tone knob is a passive treble cut (boosting isn't possible without a battery for supplied voltage). If you wire up a tone knob with the capacitor in series, you have a passive bass cut.

15. billybassist

billybassist

Sep 11, 2010
    Really? I didn't know that. Could you draw me a diagram of it?

Also, new idea for signal path:

V-selector switch-V-super switch-T-Jack

super switch is an on-off-on toggle

top = to tone knob
    middle = kill switch [thus eliminating the need for a master volume, as that's what I use it for anyways]
    bottom = to jack [as a tone knob bypass, but now I may make top wired treble cut and bottom wired bass cut, idk]

How does that sound?

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021