1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plain Tailpiece?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by SRT80, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Does anyone sale a plain tailpiece not finished?

I have a Holbein bass that has a rosewood board hidden by a black stain. It's wearin' off. So the plan is to remove all the stain from the board.

I would like to try and find a plain maple tailpiece or some kind of tailpiece I could try to stain to get it to match.

My board is more of a reddish rosewood. Someone with the same bass said it's actually a brasilwood? I'm sure I could find a stain to closely match.

I seen Minwax has stains in sedona red and mahogony red. And judgin' by the pictures, looks like one of those could be a close match.

Thoughts?
    Steve

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
  3. Will do. The Jatoba (or whatever it is) looks like it might be too brown?

But I will check it out.

Thanks,
    Steve

4. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    The rosewood one I have in the classifieds is very nice and should match well. If it's not red enough, just use some mahogany / red stain over it .

It's a gorgeous piece of wood, I may just keep it to hang on the wall. :D

Jatoba turns reddish in the sunlight actually, and over time - one of Bob's engel tailpieces may be a better match.