Plastic + Nitrocellulose

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Matt R., Jul 18, 2017.

1. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Hey everyone. Quick question for you luthier types.

I think I've read that certain plastics can harm nitrocellulose lacquer. So, does anyone here know if these plastic Fender-type neck plate cushions will react with nitro?
    I don't know exactly what type of plastic these are made of, but I'm sure some of my fellow Fender nerds are familiar with these:

6TmDIT.jpg

Thanks in advance!

2. I wouldn't know but if you think it might I'd just leave it off. None of my lacquer finished basses have ever had one.

3. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Well yeah, I wouldn't just throw it on not knowing if it could damage it.

4. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    I'm no chemical expert, but I was told that it's not the plastics (generalisation) that react with nitro, it's the release agents used to release the part from the mould in the forming process. If the plastic is cleaned thoroughly...it should be ok. Bubble wrap has a solvent which helps form the bubbles...that's the reactive part...not the plastic.

Matt R. likes this.
  5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That "new car" smell is largely mold-release off gassing from the plastic parts. Mm mm.....mold release. I never heard of a plastic neck plate hurting nitro, some foam case liners will eat it though. I know nitro looks nice, but its not a very good finish for guitars, fragile, vulnerable to common chemicals, chips easily, etc. The newer Water Borne finishes are finally reaching the point where they can rival the gloss and transparency of nitro, that's the way it going with most manufacturers except the custom shops and relic jobs.

ICM and Matt R. like this.