1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Plastic Nut vs. Bone Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CorryJobin, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hello TBers,

"Back in the Day" I was a much more aggressive bass player than I am now and I was breaking E and A strings on my StingRay5 right at the nut. I had the bone nut filed for burrs and then it happened a few more times. :mad:

So... I switched to a plastic nut and its still on today (9 years). I do notice a tiny bit of buzzing, but its not all that noticeable.

Is it sacrilegious to have a plastic nut on a StingRay? I am scared to go back to a bone nut for fear of breaking strings again, but I want the bass to play and sound as good as it can.

Your thoughts would be appreciated...

2. I'm not entirely sure a bone vs plastic nut makes much of a difference in sound - at least on bass. However, a lot of folks have been happy with nuts (and bridges as appropriate) made of Tusq. Some say it's better than bone. I have one guitar with a Tusq bridge and nut and I compared it with bone - no perceptible difference in sound.

3. ranjam

ranjam

Sep 4, 2008
    Canada
    On the one hand, unless you play all open strings all night, you won't 'hear' the nut. Any note you finger; your finger becomes the nut.
    Playing Devil's advocate, you can try graphite, tusq, teflon, or ebanol. Whatever floats your boat. All available from AllParts, and all about $12.50 each to try and decide what works for you.