1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Play the Bass with Drumsticks? Yup.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
  2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    For a brief time in between the recording of Peter Gabriel's "Big Time" (where Jerry Marotta played his drumsticks against Tony Levin's bass strings) and Tony's invention of Funk Fingers (those little sawed-off drumsticks that Tony taped to the ends of his index & middle fingers) Tony used to play his bass with a regular full-sized drumstick. I saw him do this on the 1986 Gabriel tour for the tune "Excellent Birds".

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I was at some high school jazz thing and the drummer and bassist were doing that. It was really cool haha.

On a different note, in band class one day the lead trombonist and I (second bone) decided to grab each others slides and do the positions for each other during a part that we played the same notes. It worked for about 10 seconds:p Didn't realize until afterwards that it was really gay to grab another guys bone....

4. Torque

Torque

Jul 23, 2011
    That's fantastic, thanks for the link!

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  6. the bass player is actually his son

7. I wish I had some video of it, but my former band from 5 years ago used to end our shows playing a Tommy the Cat/Pudding and Cheese/Stickshift and Safetybelts medley with extended drum and bass solos in the middle, and one night we were playing in a smaller club and I was set up pretty close to our drummer and in the middle of his solo I pulled my bass off and held it in front of him, fretboard up, and he started playing some muted rhythms on it and sliding his sticks up and down the strings. Sounds pretty badass with some synths and filters on!